Honored Contributor

Re: Explain duvet covers to me, please.

@Shelbelle wrote:

My interior designer told me to stay away from them ,said they never look neat, always wrinkled and not smooth...

I've had and used one (briefly)  and @Shelbelle designer is absolutely correct.   These things are a good idea that just doesn't work.   They're hard to manage and always look like a wrinkled,  rumpled mess.   They always look like you tried to make the bed but ran out of time. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I use one on my queen size down comforter because it can go in the washing machine which beats dragging the comforter to the laundromat and hanging around there waiting for it to get washed and dried in the big machines. I must say though that I do have a wicked time getting it back on. A nap is required afterwards. I still use a top sheet under it so I don't have to do it that often and I have a quilt folded at the bottom of the bed so if anyone is coming and I think they're going to be going in my bedroom and I want the bed to look neat all I have to do is pull the quilt up over it.

Honored Contributor

I use one on my king size comforter because otherwise I would have to schlep to a laundromat to wash the comforter or spend a sigificant amount of money to have it cleaned.  But putting the cover on is difficult and I am looking for other options for our king size bed.  Any ideas for blankets that can be washed in a home washing machine???

Honored Contributor

We had one in our hotel room last night. My take is they are a wrinkly mess. No doubt they are much easier to launder than a quilt or comforter, but no thanks.

Honored Contributor

Thank you all for your replies.  It's been explained perfectly pros and cons.

They have some of the most beautiful prints on them.  Wished they just made the whole darn comforter in the prints I see out there.

Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

My interior designer told me to stay away from them ,said they never look neat, always wrinkled and not smooth...

This is one reason I have never used one as well. They look disheveled to me, when in real use. When on  display in pictures or catalogs, they look better, but when used everyday, they get rumpled looking. I'm not a big fan of comforters for that same reason. Many of them get lumpy and worn looking after the first washing. 

Respected Contributor

@Lucky Charm

One other " con " about duvet covers:  if you are sensitive to having heavy weight on your feet or legs, duvets aren't the answer.  It's added weight !

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lucky Charm  A duvet is another word for a down or down alternative comforter.  As others have described, think of the cover as you would a pillow case - sewn on three sides and one side open.  It takes a little practice, learning how to get the duvet/comforter inside the cover.  The inside corners often have fabric ties to secure the comforter and keep it from shifting, but sometimes they can loosen.  On the open end of the cover, there are several buttons to close it up.  That's how mine is, but it's possible that some have velcro or maybe even snaps or hooks & eyes.  I like the idea of a duvet cover because it can be removed and laundered easily.

Assuming your current comforter is a neutral/light color and the material on the new cover is thick enough for the comforter to not show through, then yes, you could probably use the comforter your currently have.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm not understanding why anyone would care if they get wrinkly looking. Unless it's the top layer of covering on your bed and it comes down to the floor like a blanket would. In my case mine serves as a blanket, it comes about a third of the way down the sides of the bed. I have quilted bedspread that covers the whole bed which is the top covering on it. I just don't pull the quilted bedspread up every day, I have it folded down at the end of the bed, it still hangs to the floor on the end and the sides. As I said if someone was going to need to go in bedroom and I want the bed to look totally finished I can pull the quilted bedspread up.

Esteemed Contributor

@castlenv wrote:

I use one on my king size comforter because otherwise I would have to schlep to a laundromat to wash the comforter or spend a sigificant amount of money to have it cleaned.  But putting the cover on is difficult and I am looking for other options for our king size bed.  Any ideas for blankets that can be washed in a home washing machine???

I think when it comes to king size, the laundromat is the only option.  I switched to a king quilt but that would damage my machine if I tried to launder it at home.  I use the king quilt and throw a spare full comforter on if I get cold.  That one can go in my washer.  Anyway, I'm tired of lugging a huge king comforter to the laundromat.  I can barely carry it.  The quilt is somewhat more manageable and looks very neat on the bed.