Honored Contributor

Explain duvet covers to me, please.

I'm in the market for a new comforter. 

I keep seeing duvet covers.  I've never had one so I don't understand the concept.

Do they sell you a plain (white?) comforter to go inside?  How do they hold the inside blanket/comforter in place?

Would buying a duvet cover work for an existing comforter in the same size?

Honored Contributor

Re: Explain duvet covers to me, please.

It's a big pillow case with either buttons or velcro on it to close it.

You put your old comforter into it and as far as I know, there is nothing to hold the comforter in place.  Needs to be shaken back into place in the morning if it shifts.

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm

A duvet cover for a duvet is like a pillowcase cover for your pillowcase.

It goes on to protect the duvet (like mine, which is down) so that you can wash the outside more often.  You can cover any duvet with a cover, the fabric cover just needs to be darker than your comforter.  They can button on, tie on, zip up or close with Velcro.  The cover should be the same size as the comforter/duvet.

Regular Contributor

Some duvets have ties in the corners to secure the comforter in place.  If not you can buy clips in the bed and bath shops to secure the corners.  You can use your current comforter as long as the duvet is thick enough to hide the comforters color and or pattern.

Trusted Contributor

Agree with the other answers. I have a couple of comforters (also called duvets or duvet inserts). One is very light for summer and the other is warm for winter. Mine have plain white cotton covers and are washable. The duvet cover protects the duvet from getitng dirty and it also replaces the top sheet. Instead of washing a top sheet, I wash the duvet cover every week.

Simplicity is the main reason I like this arrangement. First, I don't need to keep multiple layers of sheets and blankets straight--mine tend to get tangled while I sleep. I probably turn over a lot, so that's just me. Second, I like to be able to put my feet out at the bottom when I get too warm in the night. I know people who love their feet tucked in tightly, so again, that's just me. Finally, making the bed is an absolute breeze--I just pick up the edge of the duvet, give it a quick shake and it lays right down on the mattress--so no bedspread required, either.

Honored Contributor

My interior designer told me to stay away from them ,said they never look neat, always wrinkled and not smooth...

Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

My interior designer told me to stay away from them ,said they never look neat, always wrinkled and not smooth...

Contributor

I never understood them.  They make the bed look wrinkled and sloppy.  I like my bed to look finished and neat.  Also, I'd rather wash a whole comforter than deal with taking off and putting back on a duvet cover.

Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

I'm in the market for a new comforter. 

I keep seeing duvet covers.  I've never had one so I don't understand the concept.

(1) Do they sell you a plain (white?) comforter to go inside? (2) How do they hold the inside blanket/comforter in place?

(3)Would buying a duvet cover work for an existing comforter in the same size?

I numbered your questions. I didn't understand them either, but now I get it. A duvet cover is just a cover for any comforter, so is much cheaper than a comforter. They also take up less storage space than a comforter. This means I can get multiple looks for my bed without spending as much money or storing bulky items. Smiley Happy

(1) and (3) - Yes. Yes you can buy a plain white comforter or you can put a duvet cover over an existing comforter. I live in a place where it's already in the 80s in February and comforter season is very, very short. I've had the same comforter for ages and buying a replacement makes no sense when mine is perfectly good but the color is all wrong. A duvet cover gives me more options.

(2) Some covers have ties inside, but there are a variety of clips and options to get the cover to stay on. My favorite option is something called a Pinion Pin. I use 6 - one in each of the 4 corners and then one in the middle of each long side. That easily keeps the comforter inside the cover.

Getting a duvet cover on can be tricky and I was too scared to try it for years. I used the California Roll/Burrito method and it was super fast and easy. Here's a video to show how it's done. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRPfudNNd8Y

At the point where she aligns the 4 corners, that's when I put the pinion pins in place in the top corners. After I unroll it, I put the other 4 pins in place.

Respected Contributor

A slipcover for your comfortor sums it up. I'm sure some braintrust has done a YouTube video showing the easiest way to insert the comforter. Mine always stay put, but mine are all down-filled and have some weight.

Speaking of down, washing down-filled bedding breaks down the fibers, shortening the useful life of the comforter. You can wash a good-quality poly-filled comforter forever if the batting doesn't wad or bunch, but not so with down. A duvet is the best way to extend its life, and nothing says you can't flip a top sheet and coverlet or bedspread on top of it if you want a finished look. But I've always found that shaking out the duvet with the comforter in it plumps the down and smooths out any major wrinkles in the duvet.