Trusted Contributor

Re: Estate Sales and End Results

[ Edited ]

We have two ladies in our neighborhood who do estate sales full-time...our area has is aging out and many are downsizing or going into retirement condos etc. The ladies are very organized and methodical. I went to one of their sales recently just to check it out and they had a bottle of half-empty wite-out for 15 cents....everything in the desk drawer was priced....a wall of shelving was $3K. Plastic cups from fast food places were $3. They left  nothing to be donated. You must get on a waiting list if you want them to conduct a sale for you. You also must wait in line to go inside...only five-6 people at a time..... I wont be going to any sales like that anymore...I am trying to get rid of stuff, not bring more in. The first day is priced as marked. The second day is half the price marked. The third and last day is 75% of the price marked. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Estate Sales and End Results

Has anyone mentioned anotther benefit of an estate sale, a well-run sale will just about empty the house.  Think of your own, do you really want that burden on your kids?  I used to work on these sales when I was an antique dealer.  One sale I remember made $18,000, of which my friend, who owned the company, kept only 10%  (very low)  She and I split that since one other woman was on vacation, so I made $900.00 for a few days' work.  Many sales make much less, believe me.  Another route you can go is an auction, either in person or online.  They are very popular now days in my neck of the woods.