Honored Contributor

Re: Estate Sales and End Results

@Twins Mom wrote:

Now one sees estate sales whenever individuals have passed or are downsizing upon the sale of the home.  Can they really bring in that much money after all individuals are paid?  Anyone have experience to give some round numbers and insight!  Thanks.

depends on the goal,

want to get rid of an entire house/contents

it takes work and lots of time,

well worth paying someone with expertise and reach to do it for you

Respected Contributor

Estate sales are popular where I live.  Just like anything else, there are some good ones and some bad ones.  Recently there was one in my neighborhood and it was a good one and it was really, really busy.  They were selling their pool table, patio furniture, theater seating, bedroom furniture sets, area rugs, high end wallets like Gucci and Louis Vitton.....saw this small lamp (some type of glass) that had a ticket of $540 Firm on it but I don't know what kind it was.  I was afraid to touch it and it was right at the cashier check out.  

Respected Contributor

We did an estate sales when my aunts  passed and they had tons of items and a lot of antiques.  They came in and picked up all the items we had ready and helped sort items that would sell well. We did do a garage sale too but we did great with the sale of the antiques and on line as well.   So it depends on what there is.  We used a reputable outfit as well.  

Did garage sale for my sisters items when she passed.  We did ok but not a fortune but we were not expecting a lot and just needed to get her house ready to sell.  We also donated a lot of items as well.  We also had a dumpster for stuff that had to go.

No matter what you do involves work and a lot of emotions too.  Not an easy job and reason I purge on a regular basis.  Nobody really wants your stuff like you do!

Respected Contributor

I think all of the permutations of results have been covered by other posters.  Personally, I used a local estate sale service not because I expected to make a lot of money, but because I wanted a clean and empty house to put on the market.  Any net proceeds from the sale were a bonus.

Honored Contributor

I cannot begin to describe what a relief it was to walk out of my mother's house and shut the door the day the estate sale company came.  

Respected Contributor

@Roscoe the Rascal 

Your last paragraph is ever so true.  (if I knew how to copy \paste here I would).

Trusted Contributor

If one has a lot of big ticket items (large furniture pieces) it is well worth your time to have a company come in and complete the sale process for you. If you were to attempt a Garage sale to sell all of those items that take a lot of time and effort on your part and will result in much lower prices than can come from an Estate Sale.

Esteemed Contributor

I love estate sales, and I enjoy going to them. They be they are loaded with things we are trying to declutter, but they also have many beautiful, interesting pieces that you would never find anywhere else. Sometimes these people had collected these items on their travels, or had handmade pieces that are unique. 

Esteemed Contributor

Depends where you live.

Near my present home the one company that does estate sales has items priced very reasonably. In this economy I always come away with something. Recent finds included a new cashmere sweater, 100% cotton matellase quilt/bedspread, beach chair, 3 drawer shelf, weather station and more- all  under $10.00 each. Where I lived previously prices were a lot higher for such sales.

When I downsized in 2018 I hired Maxsold, an online estate sale auction. Easy and organized. Sold a lot, donated the rest. Definitely made $ after paying them for their services. Also got $50.00 for referring my DB & SIL to them prior to their move.

Honored Contributor

My nieces had an estate sale for their parents belongings, they did not hire a company, they did it themselves.

...I honestly did not think they would make much money but at the end of day 1 of a 2 days sale they had $2000.00!  I don't think the 2nd day brought much in but I think what they made was great.

Yes, it is a lot of work for the family.