Respected Contributor

Estate Sales and End Results

Now one sees estate sales whenever individuals have passed or are downsizing upon the sale of the home.  Can they really bring in that much money after all individuals are paid?  Anyone have experience to give some round numbers and insight!  Thanks.

Honored Contributor

Re: Estate Sales and End Results

I don't have an answer for that......BUT, I have purchased some extraordinary values.    And it makes me happy to know that I've given a new home to someone's loved items!

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

We did our own estate sale a couple of weeks ago to clear out my deceased Dad's house prior to selling it. Me and my three brothers did a weekend sale and made about $800. Still have some things left that will go to Goodwill.

Trusted Contributor

@Twins Mom I had no idea on estate sales after my parents went into Assisted Living but it was amazing what they did, found & sold at the sale of my parent's stuff & what people came in and bought.  We did donate alot of items to Goodwill but the amount of money we made at the estate sale which went towards their care was so appreciated.

Honored Contributor

I don't remember an exact amount, but for the benefit, I would have paid them.  I think we cleared a good chunk of change. . . well worth it.  And they sold stuff I would have pitched out. 

Honored Contributor

My best friends brother is involved in local estate sales.   According to him, most of these sales are not worth his time.  

Within the last 2 years, only 1 sale was actually a really good one in his opinion, and worth the time he invested.  The home and personal effects had belonged to a prominent attorney and his wife, so there were many quality pieces, and no junk.   

What he often finds, is exactly what many of us are busy decluttering from our own homes.  Decor and other items that have seen better days, super large collections of things like angels, bells, lighthouses, etc.   

Frequent Contributor

Estate sales companies charge different amounts. The more that the household contains like kitchen, clothing,  couches, things in a basment, major garage items - like lawn mowers, gas grills, snow blowers, even cars, etc will determine how much is made. You can also have the sale on your own. When my parents downsized we helped them have their sale - people kept asking us what Estate sale company was doing theirs because it was very organized and priced to sell. Go to estatesales.net and put the city in which you live to see your local sales. In our state there are tons of them.

Trusted Contributor

I hired an estate sale company several years ago when I finally decided to empty out my mom's home.  I think the profits were shared 60/40.  After they deducted their 40%, I received a check from them for almost $6,000.00.  I highly suggest you go with professionals as they make the process so easy.

Super Contributor

The success of an estate sale depends entirely on the quality of the goods for sale.  If it's better than average, clean and displayed and priced fairly it can be very profitable.  A professional will probably ask for 40 percent of the sales as it is alot of work if there is very much left in the home.  Also people who do estate sales regularly will have a following who will be notified as well as advertising to the general public of the sale.  We had a downsizing sale a few years ago and our portion was over $25,000.  We did have alot of antiques, christmas decor and tons of gardening and garage items.  

Honored Contributor

People in my community wait for estate sales (including me).  I have bought many pieces of furniture and other items -- recently they've been hit or miss.  

Most are not emptying homes due to death but are downsizing.  Therefore, not lots of furniture but more home decor pieces.

My friend does the sales in here & does quite well.  But, of course she sorts, prices and then sits in house for 3-4 days during the sale.  I believe it's a 60/40 split depending on length of sale & how much work needs to be done.