Frequent Contributor

Estate Sale Find! Can I Put it in the Dishwasher?

I scored a major purchase of a set of stoneware at an estate sale.  The plates are labeled International Heartland #7774 and dishwasher, oven, and microwave safe.

However, the matching bowls and mugs are labeled Heartland #7774 also, but say NOTHING about dishwasher, oven, or microwave.

Should I risk putting them in the dishwasher?  The oven and microwave are not really an issue for me.

I've done an exhausting search on the internet, but came up empty.  It seems to have been a very popular pattern from the '80s and '90s, so I thought I'd give these boards a try.  TIA!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Estate Sale Find! Can I Put it in the Dishwasher?

I wouldn’t especially if the plates are clearly marked. 

Honored Contributor

@Elbelle  they probably are dish washable but why risk it?

"And suddenly you just know it's time to start something new
And trust the magic of Beginnings..."
Honored Contributor

I think I'd put one bowl in the dishwasher.  Can you change the setting to a shorter wash?  You could go to a local antique store and see if they know, bring one piece.

Honored Contributor

Since the plates are clearly marked "dishwasher safe", I would assume all pieces with the set would be the same.  Why would the cups be any different?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I personally would not risk it. But if you wish, take a piece (cup or bowl) that you can stand to lose and try it. If it works, great. If not, then you have your answer. Please let us know, I'd be curious to find out.

Esteemed Contributor

If one size is dishwasher safe - why wouldn't the other sizes be?  Made of same material (stoneware) and decorated the same = I'd go for it.

Esteemed Contributor

As others here have said, I would go for it with the DW.

A normal setting. Unless a piece is heavily soiled I would load the pieces you are unsure aboit toward the front of the DW.

Enjoy!

Esteemed Contributor

Very cute pattern!

All I can say is, I put my Temp-tations in the DW daily and they are fine.  They are also stoneware (and many would say cheap, at that).  Both shelves, top and bottom.  I have seven sets of dinnerware.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

When glass or stoneware dishes are marked "Hand wash only" it's because either the material they're made out of, or designs or trim can't stand up to constant water pressure and the soap.  Also high drying cycles can affect designs.  

I've never noticed a piece that can go in the oven but not the dishwasher.