Esteemed Contributor

Re: Estate Sale Find! Can I Put it in the Dishwasher?

@Elbelle - Are the bottoms of the pieces fully glazed? If not, then I wouldn't put them into the dishwasher. The main reason some stoneware is marked as being "not dishwasher safe," and why we're always cautioned against leaving stoneware to soak in the sink, is because water can get absorbed into the unfinished parts of the pieces and never fully dry, causing potential problems with weakening of the inner structure and/or cracks and shattering due to the moisture content when the stoneware is later heated. There's also the possibility of stoneware getting knocked around against other pieces in the dishwasher, causing chips and breakage.

What I'm describing is a fairly extreme set of "maybes," so there's a chance your pieces will be just fine, but if I really love something I always go "better safe than sorry." Good luck!

Respected Contributor

I can't answer your question.   I will only say, if it is something I treasure and it is not easily replaceable, I would handwash (even if it say dishwasher safe). 

Respected Contributor

How about compromising by using China setting on wash. I would not heat dry.
Honored Contributor

A lot of older stoneware or pottery will be fine, but the dishwasher will eat the glaze off leaving with with a gritty matte finish. 

Honored Contributor

No, no and no.  Its the dishwasher soap that ruins antique finishes, not the dishwasher itself.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

I looked these up and remember them clearly from my thrift store management days. 

I'm sure the entire line is dishwasher safe. 

If you are comfortable using the dishwasher for stoneware in general these should be no different. 

I don't have a dishwasher, and don't like what they do to dishes over time, so I wouldn't put them in (or any other thing, but that is just me!).

The one thing you can't do with stoneware is soak it. If you hand wash it, you need to put it in hot soapy water and wash, rinse and dry it within just a few seconds. You can put water into a stoneware vessel but the unglazed part of the bottoms will absorb water if left sitting in water, and can lead to cracking and crazing over time. 

Honored Contributor

Dishes that are marked microwave and dishwasher safe are not considered antiques.  They just aren't old enough.   Maybe "vintage," but that's it.  If the material feels exactly the same and the glaze is the same, I think you are OK.  

Honored Contributor

I looked this up on Google and find that it was a pattern issued by JC Penney and it is collectible, as pieces are offered by Replacements Ltd.  I am an antique dealer and my humble opinion is these pieces are all dishwasher safe. Replacements is very high priced, but if you are desperate to replace missing pieces from your mother's china or glassware set, they are indispensible.   

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I would not risk it.

For Christmas my husband gave me Rocky & Bullwinkle glasses. Well, after a few runs through the dishwasher, the glasses have lost most of their color. These are glasses he just bought. They are not from 20 - 30 years ago.

I just can't help but think there is a reason the bowls and cups don't have dishwasher safe on the bottom.