Contributor
On 1/9/2015 flickerbulb said:

I used a local flooring company for some other floors and they were good. I might check them out again.

I guess Lumber Liquidators sells seconds and that is why they price is cheap.

I don't know if Lumber Liquidators sells seconds, but I do know that I purchased bamboo flooring from them and it is not good quality. Also, they do not stand behind their product.

Super Contributor

We had Empire come in a few years ago. No problems at all. I had Laminate put in my kitichen, diningroom and hallways. They did a beautiful job and cleaned up afterward-in fact, I am going to have them back again to do our bedrooms.

Esteemed Contributor

I'd suggest a local handyman & flooring from Lumber Liquidizers (or other discount flooring company)

We used them 30 years ago without problems, but I'd go local these days.

Respected Contributor

Thanks for the responses!

I looked at their website and all they show are small color samples but do not show the exact flooring they offer. For example, Shaw Light Oak for $3.00 a sq.ft.

I am also going to check out Lumber Liquidators.

Another warning against Lumber Liquidators. I have also known many people who have had terrible problems and frustrations with this company, their product and service.

Good rule of thumb, building materials for your home (flooring, windows, roofs, etc) are not places to cut corners. Cheaper may not be cheaper in the long run.

Esteemed Contributor
We've used Empire for carpet in our family room and laminate in the kitchen. Very happy with them. I had a problem with one piece of the laminate,they came out right away and fixed it. Price was fair,the workers were pros and cleaned up completely. I would use them again and recommend the company.
Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Honored Contributor
On 1/9/2015 itsmetoo said:

Thanks for the responses!

I looked at their website and all they show are small color samples but do not show the exact flooring they offer. For example, Shaw Light Oak for $3.00 a sq.ft.

I am also going to check out Lumber Liquidators.

For what it's worth, my friend used Lumber Liquidators and they don't recommend them at all. Every box had all kinds of defective boards in them and they wouldn't make it good. In the end, they had to buy way more than they needed to get enough 'good' boards to finish their home.

We bought our engineered wood floor for our carriage house from Lumber Liquidators. Never had any kind of a problem with any of our wood pieces. We hired a local contractor to install. Its one gorgeous floor!

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

Wow, we just put in laminate - used a local company - not a chain store - and when she came to measure she gave us the total right down to a box of special nails needed on the concrete slab. Then, because we were only getting a hallway done and not a large area, they offered us a huge discount if we were willing to wait until it was convenient for them to use this as a fill in job. We did have to wait 3 months but it was worthwhile, The laminate floor is lovely. There were a lot of extras involved in the deal - a moisture barrier padding underneath, transition pieces where the laminate floors meet the tile floors or the remaining carpet, and 60 ft of quarter round that we had to purchase and paint to match the baseboards ourselves. ( They charged a fortune for it if they had to paint it).

Respected Contributor
Don't! I have two neighbors who used them and it was a disaster from beginning to the end. They had a hard time getting them to come back to match the seams better.
Honored Contributor

The very words "liquidators" in the name kept me away from that company. Whenever I see it, I think - selling what no one really wants anyway. Maybe not fair, but nothing about money is and when I'm putting down flooring, it's my money and lots of it.

Also, having done several major flooring purchases in my long life, I say take what you learn about the upsells from the companies you don't want to use and read the fine print about those kinds of things even when you're dealing with local companies. Some aspects of flooring jobs are extras - I want to know before they start what is and good companies always tell you.

My last big flooring job was 8 years ago, but by the time I signed the contracts, I knew exactly what my cost would be - until I added something that we'd never discussed.

Trusted Contributor

I am so grateful for message boards! I very much appreciate all of the feedback I have received!

More negative reports about Empire Today makes me want to run the other way.

I know I will be spending big $$$ so I do not want any additional headache.