Honored Contributor
On 2/27/2015 mominohio said:

I think she is so wonderful, and will last forever as an entertainer and a beautiful person, but her merchandise here, probably not.

For one thing, she isn't available to do the shows/presentations often, and that can't help sales any.

And the line is just rather blah to many, based on previous threads here.

Love Ellen, just not so much love for her current Q line.

ITA - her items are all over the place. There are scarves and pajamas, dishes, seasonal decorations, and the OTO last night looked like it was Plow and Hearth! I really doubt she had a lot to do with the selections - they probably showed her pics for her approval and that's why they have the "E.D" label.

I think she's great too. I bought her mercury birds during her holiday show and gave some as gifts to close friends on their packages. They are so cute! But it looks to me like at first QVC was trying to make her line a different version of Lisa's former decorating show.

It will be interesting to see what happens. Maybe if she just sticks to modern home decor that would work?

Respected Contributor
On 2/27/2015 pink dogwood said:

and since she DOES NOT need the money, does she donate every single penny to GREAT charities?

No I don't mean some of it, I'm talked ALL of it.

I think that is her business and hers only.

Should every person who is successful donate every penny to charity once they've earned a certain amount?

~Enough is enough~
Honored Contributor

I rather like her things but it speaks volumes that she can't make time to personally promote her line. Even before Christmas, Carolyn went to Ellen in CA, rather than Ellen coming to Q in PA. Last night she called in and promoted / joked about her things; I thought it was lame.

Honored Contributor

Even if her product line is wonderfully unique & lovely (I think it's "just OK"), the real downfall is that she's "calling it in." Everyone knows selling is more than features, and the QVC host can do just so much. Ellen's line desperately needs Ellen, in my opinion, not her voice on the phone, or a stand-in (no matter how capable the HGTV designer is). QVC relies on relationships with their customers, at least that's what they keep telling us. Remove that sales pitch and the line may indeed be doomed.

Honored Contributor
On 2/27/2015 mstyrion 1 said:
On 2/27/2015 pink dogwood said:

and since she DOES NOT need the money, does she donate every single penny to GREAT charities?

No I don't mean some of it, I'm talked ALL of it.

I think that is her business and hers only.

Should every person who is successful donate every penny to charity once they've earned a certain amount?

You said what I was thinking very nicely.

Honored Contributor
On 2/27/2015 Caaareful Shopper said:

Even if her product line is wonderfully unique & lovely (I think it's "just OK"), the real downfall is that she's "calling it in." Everyone knows selling is more than features, and the QVC host can do just so much. Ellen's line desperately needs Ellen, in my opinion, not her voice on the phone, or a stand-in (no matter how capable the HGTV designer is). QVC relies on relationships with their customers, at least that's what they keep telling us. Remove that sales pitch and the line may indeed be doomed.

ITA with you and ValueSkr

Trusted Contributor

My only issue is that Ellen hasn't been showing up for the shows. It's too early on for her not to be there doing her own footwork. Has anyone thought that the Christmas show that she did on her "Ellen" set in Hollywood may have created a legal issue? Perhaps the "powers that be" had an issue with her using her talk show platform to promote a product line that has nothing to do with that show. As someone who works in the biz, I can tell you that these type of conflicts happen all the time. Actors who do commercials for one brand aren't even permitted to audition for commercials for other brands if they commit to a certain one. The Christmas show may have rubbed some big wigs the wrong way. Furthermore, the reason she is not currently appearing on the QVC shows could be related to this same type of issue. Remember, the "Ellen" show has commercial sponsors. Some of these sponsors may have issues with Ellen directly appearing on another network and peddling products which could be in direct conflict with the ones they advertise on "Ellen." So, her absence on the QVC shows may not be her choice. She may not be allowed to appear. Her design challenge show is a different story as that show is not a big commercial for her products. There could also be co-sponsors with her talk show involved. Just some things to think about.

Having said all that, I think if I were to type "By Valerie" in the search bar in the upper right hand corner of the screen and started making a wish list, I would probably come up with the same percentage of products that I'd wish for if I had typed "ED on Air" in the box and started picking stuff. It's very early for this collection, and the fact that many may prefer Valerie's products could be because there is a wider selection available. Regardless of how anyone feels about Ellen's line, I'm happy that there is another "For the Home" type show running on the Q. Last week, Carolyn talked about Ellen appearing in the summer. I bet it would probably be for Christmas In July. I'm going to keep positive that she will add a greater variety of products to the line.

Esteemed Contributor

I like her talk show, her sense of humor her kindness.

I still think the HGTV show, her products, then her other show .... I'm on Ellen overload.

Honored Contributor

Maybe QVC thinks that Ellen would take up too much time due to her jokes, etc., and enough items wouldn't be sold. I loved her first show, but it was longer than one hour, I believe.

Super Contributor

Why do fabulously wealthy celebrities feel the need to have a "line" or "brand" of anything? If they aren't donating the proceeds to charity, it just seems like greed to me. Virtually none of them are actually designers or have any training or experience in design. It's just a "grab all you can get while you can" mentality. Frankly, it turns me off completely.