Esteemed Contributor

Re: Elements You Didn't Like About A House

A kitchen where appliances are just randomly placed.  How in the world you can function in a kitchen like that is beyond me.  That's my pet peeve, it's all I got.

Honored Contributor

I too hated the popcorn ceilings in my previous house.  

Honored Contributor

Free standing bathtubs.  I know they seem to be "in" these days, but I always wonder....how does one SAFELY get in and out of those tubs!  Not to mention how do you clean behind them.

Honored Contributor

The last time we looked at houses was 1999. Yes, it’s a pain, but I can remove wallpaper and do other cosmetic changes so those aren't deal breakers for me. We made those changes over time to our current home because we loved the location and style of the home. 

Things that turn me off have more to do with major architecture or design. I don't really want to look at homes without basements & garages. I want a garage to protect my vehicle and a basement for storage. I dislike homes that have narrow galley kitchens, barn like roofs, and vinyl siding. 

Respected Contributor

@QP Doll wrote:

We have an unuseable shelf up high (about a ft. from ceiling) that goes the full length of the main wall in our master bath. .... Go figure!

My guess is that is for display of collectables of some type.  Maybe dishes or figuirines.  

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Honored Contributor

@Boehm Collector wrote:

@ECBG    The house I live in now had ugly shag carpeting all over when I purchased it back in 1986.   One of the first things I did was remove it.  Underneath there were beautiful oak hardwood floors which I had refinished,   

@Boehm Collector Wow!  You found a "treasure"!Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

If I were looking right now, I would prefer something that had a completely fenced in backyard for privacy, a 2 1/2 car garage and a patio preferred. I also like 2 story or ranch style, not split level.

My husband would definitely prefer a one level house. Oh and most definitely laundry on the 1st floor-no laundry in the basement! We have lived in our 2 story home now for 30 years and hubby is tired of stairs!  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

As was posted earlier, location trumps all. Most everything else can be changed.

There are always things that need to be changed. Changes that make a big difference, IMO: Paint (#1), lighting fixtures, flooring, counter tops, window treatments.

Deal breakers: no outdoor space, basement laundry, only one bath, one or no car garage, two common walls with two neighbors, north facing windows, kitchen too small to fit a small table, low ceilings, too small/ too few closets, too many stairs (bad knee), lack of privacy/ neighbor's homes too close to one another, too expensive/ taxes too high, too large/ too much to maintain, no central A/C, bad/ ugly views

Honored Contributor

For myself, I want a ranch, a full basement, and a two car attached garage. I would look for small square footage and something easy to maintain. All I would want are 2 bedrooms, 2 full baths, a kitchen with eat-in dining area, living room, and laundry on one level. 

Esteemed Contributor

@RetRN : You described the end unit townhome I bought in 2018, LOL!

Best decision. Upstairs guest suite- one BR & full bath and loft area lounge & home office. Unfinished full basement and 2 car garage- plenty of storage. Volume ceilings, lots of large windows and evergreen trees for shade & privacy.