Honored Contributor

Re: Elements You Didn't Like About A House

@Lucky Charm wrote:

I see possiblities in any home as long as it's a desireable area.

I'd rather for us to have the remodel done--than someone else do it before putting it on the market.   (Unless is was a brand new home.)

Can't stand the thought of an underground or below level basement/cellar.  Just creeps me out.  

Not a fan of a home that has a garage door in the front.  That would be a deal breaker for me-even if it was brand new.

An old home with asbestos siding---no.

@Lucky Charm Sorry, it's rare you ever get your money out of remodeling for the purpose of selling.

A builder built a house with a basement facing front in the next neighborhood.  He painted the front door a neutral color, and the basement door (which was right below the front door) RED!!!  What do you think you saw first???  

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

I like a range of architectural styles, but the elements that I perceive to be trendy, rather than classic, would be the ones I'd reject if looking at houses right now.

One example would be "barn doors".   I love original, old pocket doors, but barn doors hung from a rod do strike me as something that is a passing thing.

Lots of wallpaper eliminates a house from consideration.  It's a drag to remove.  I can actually like some applications of wallpaper, but it is such a specific taste-- would want to choose my own, if any. I only like it sparingly used, at any rate.

Nix to popcorn ceilings as well.  Oh, and I can't stand those "master suites" that are open to the bathroom, or have a tub in the middle of the bedroom.  That's more work to try to put up doors or walls, so that would be an automatic "no".

@Oznell No way I would ever consider a master br open to the bath!  No way I would waste room on a large bath!!!

I do like wall paper on a hall (if there's a lot of light background).  I hate a "dead" hallway.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

There are many for me that I have seen, but the most important would be if it wasn't high quality construction throughout. 

Building to code doesn't mean the house is good construction.  Neither does price.  Painting, putting in new appliances and rugs are cosmetics and buyers often fall for them.  

Esteemed Contributor

Low ceilings, overload of tile in bathrooms. Small closets. No garage. How it is situated with the sun. Our house gets all morning sun in front and all the evening sun in the back and boy howdy that air conditioning does not shut off. The mortgage payment🤣💯👍 

Trusted Contributor

@tansy 

I love my popcorn ceilings with the glitter. So much prettier than boring plain ceilings. I'm waiting patiently for them to become popular again. 😀

Respected Contributor

WALLPAPER , a different pattern in every single room, including hallways. The dining room had 2 different patterns!!  The walls were never properly prepared and I slowly removed it room by room, bit by bit ( a big house 4 BRs). It nearly killed me. I despise wallpaper now. 

Esteemed Contributor

I agree with most everything you all you said.  For me it would be a one bathroom house.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

Open concept and garage doors in front .

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ECBG    The house I live in now had ugly shag carpeting all over when I purchased it back in 1986.   One of the first things I did was remove it.  Underneath there were beautiful oak hardwood floors which I had refinished,   

Honored Contributor

Walls of mirrors; wallpaper.  Would never consider a house/apartment with either of those elements.