Esteemed Contributor

Re: Elegant Formal Living Room...

@stevieb   Oh my gosh, I love it!

Honored Contributor

@Patriot3 wrote:

@stevieb   Oh my gosh, I love it!

@Patriot3  Me too. This picture doesn't do it justice, as it's too small and doesn't show off all the details. It's a very pretty room. 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

Nay

Honored Contributor

I love the actual space, but I don't care for the furniture or the color palette.

Honored Contributor

It's a wonderful room, great use of space and light.  I don't find it especially formal.  The rug looks like it would be great for lolling on, you could write bills at that table, that casual little chest tucked under the console could hold games and needlework, and the big bouquet of flowers breathes life into the room.

Interestingly, they used both symmetry, AND assymetry, to relax the feeling and throw off your expectations.  

It doesn't matter that it's not my particular color preference; the space has an overall lovely and inviting feeling. 

Esteemed Contributor

This is not my style and even if it were, I don't care for the color palette.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Valued Contributor

Very pretty. Very inviting.

Trusted Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

I like rooms in "real" homes where ordinary people live.  How many live in mansions with rooms like that?

@Kachina624 ... Consider it 'aspirational'... Woman Wink I don't live in a home like that either and if I did, I'd still want rooms I could relax in and enjoy. Still, I'd love to have an elegant sitting room as well...

We had friends for over 30 years that never let us sit in their showcase living room.  We had to go into the rec room or the kitchen.  I  for  

years thought this was only peculiar to these friends until we visited last year some acquaintances who showed us their country living room and then took us to sit in their rec room in the back of the house.  You go figure.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Why does this look like a mish-mash of stuff to me?  It looks like there is a dining room table in the living room.  It looks like a bedroom with a sitting room meets a dining room. 

The black chandelier and the wooden beamed ceiling doesn't match the formality of the furniture, drapes and other decor.  

I don't even know what is going on there but I know it's just too ornate for my taste.  And I hate the color mauve. It's so dated to me.     

Super Contributor

It looks very elegant and really pretty but yes also really formal. I would probably sit here with my stomach tucked in and holding my breath.