Honored Contributor

We have Pandora on in the background, but we talk to eachother.

Honored Contributor

We don't eat with the TV on.  We do listen to the radio.  No phones at the table either.  LOL

Honored Contributor

I will put seasonal music on low during holiday dinners. Regular dinners usually not. I don't like the TV on during dinner unless I'm eating alone. No electronics at my table. Enjoy talking and visiting over food, not having the meal interrupted by tv or phones.

Honored Contributor

I was raised with no TV or music while eating dinner. Breakfast and lunch were ok in front of a TV, but when Dad came home from work, we all sat down together and talked about our day. My DH and I have continued that tradition. We do not use our cell phones at the table either.

When we hosted Thanksgiving a few days ago a few family members brought their phones to the table to make and answer calls. Not appropriate IMO unless there is an emergency (there wasn’t). I was a good girl though and said nothing. 😉

Honored Contributor

we have the tv on in the background. it is usually local or national news. we also chat about what we are hearing OR about how our days were. occasionally we are watching jeopardy or wheel of fortune. in those cases we are all trying to answer the question or guess the puzzle. Smiley Wink

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

In our home, we eat without television or music but we never eat in silence!  We enjoy conversation at meal time.  I think every family has it's preference and that is great!

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

We only have something on if it is a quick sandwich or soup or cereal eaten in the den in front of the tv.  For a real, I can't imagine having music on.  We sit at the table, eat and talk.   Growing up that's what we did at the main meal too. 

@Sooner    interesting that your eating together and talking  carried on to your adult life. Hubby and I to this day eat in seperate rooms.. always have for almost 40 years.. he watches his shows and eats dinner later.. I eat dinner early  and watch my shows.  We have never eaten a meal together other than IF we eat out( which is mostly never) our whole marriage.  Just seems normal to us to eat when we want and what  we each want.

Of course we never had kids.... that might have changed up the game I suppose with eating as a "family" .

Esteemed Contributor

In our house dinner time is catch-up time.No tv,music or cellphones allowed ,period. We talk about our day, help eachother solve problems,laugh etc. 

Dinner time has always been the most important part of our day.These days my 26 year old son is only home for dinner about 2 or 3 times a week.So we really cherish our time together & make the most of it. 

Honored Contributor

When eating at home, it is "how was your day" conversation, but we don't talk much in restauants because the background noise makes it difficult for DH to hear and I don't want to yell.

Honored Contributor

Growing up we ate Dinner as a Family, so there was always talk about everyone's day and what we did at school, etc......With my own family, daughters and hubby we also used that time to talk about each other's day, and what we did,etc.....Now that it is just hubby and I, we talk to each other.....

I can see where it could get to watching the news or tv, or listening to music, but since we both still work, we have plenty to talk about at Dinner time......