Honored Contributor

@Silkeej wrote:

I grew up in a family where dinner time was for family and catching up on everyone's day. Today in my family the tradition continues no cell phones or tv at the dinner table just family and good conversations. If someone had a bad day we are there for them.  We all have busy lives and so to us, this is the time we come together once a day as a family.

Exactly!!  It's the only time that everyone is together in one place at the same time.  

Honored Contributor

There was no TV in our kitchen -  not at all surprising because there was no TV at all until a few months before I turned 14.  No way would it have fit in our kitchen - we're talking the 1950's when the screens were small and the sets huge.

There was a radio, but the only times I remember listening were when my mother was ironing and listening to the afternoon soaps as well as Saturdays when she and I washed and dried the lunch dishes together and listened to Gunsmoke.

We pretty much always used mealtime to eat and talk.

Even now in most of the homes in my family, that is what happens.  No TV and no cell phones that I've ever seen at the table.

Respected Contributor

We usually have music on quietly in the background.  That's how I'm introducing my children to classical, Nat King Cole, Sinatra, and a lot of different music they may not gravitate too.  It's amazing what they're asking to listen to now.  We're getting ready to break out the Christmas cds.  They love Charlie Brown Christmas soundtrack.

Honored Contributor

Never had anything in the background while growing up.   And ... there was never any silence!  It was family time, and we were/are a family of talkers.

It apparently stuck with me ... to this day.

Even after I married - it was time for conversation.  No TV or music.

Now - living alone, I usually have something to read while I eat at home, or eating out.

Of course - with guests - still nothing in the background.

Respected Contributor

never silent at my house. dh is a world class chatterbox.

Respected Contributor

I like quiet conversation, so we don't have the television or music on while eating.  

Respected Contributor

Music or tv on in the back ground.

Esteemed Contributor

Mom was an Editor of the newspaper. Our meals were lively conversations about local and national news and politics. We also covered our daily agendas (good and bad), as well as plans for the next day. Sometimes we would share interesting things from school. It was always a learning experience filled with laughter and, yes, different ideas.

My husband and I carried those traditions into our home with lively conversations over the dining room table. Now, my grandson shares many fascinating topics with me. (Some are so far over my head! He is a musical genius.)  And, no, I still don't have a TV in my kitchen, dining room or living room. No complaints from anyone yet.  

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

Never have. Even as a child the dinner table was right next to the  13 inch RCA black and white TV...my Dad watched the news....

Today I usually eat dinner sitting up in bed...TV on and on my IPad. 😁

Honored Contributor

We only have something on if it is a quick sandwich or soup or cereal eaten in the den in front of the tv.  For a real, I can't imagine having music on.  We sit at the table, eat and talk.   Growing up that's what we did at the main meal too.