Honored Contributor

Eating in Silence?

[ Edited ]

Do you eat meals in silence?  We grew up always having the radio or music on.

Some friends eat in silence with no background sounds at all other than talking and lauging of family/guests/etc.

When I say Silence I mean without music or TV on.  Smiley Happy

Just curious about how many do either?

Faith is the strength by which a shattered world shall emerge into the light. —Helen Keller
Esteemed Contributor

We often have a Pandora station on, or listen to sports radio if there is something of interest, but I do make a point of trying to have a conversation during our shared meal, which is supper.

I fall else fails I move about the room and start cleaning up!  The dog definitely makes an appearance.  He can't wait to get a few leftovers.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

That's the only time there is silence in my family, we rarely get together and we are loud and talkative until the meal is served.LOL

Honored Contributor

Growing up we ate at the table each night with no TV on. We talked to each other.

DH and I have the TV on but not loud.

Times have changed.

Esteemed Contributor

@blackhole99 - Things are the same for our crew—though we typically keep talking the whole time we're around the table! I'm pretty sure any music would be drowned out, and electronic devices of any kind during a family meal are a big no-no...

Honored Contributor

I would love to eat with just quiet conversation going on, but My DH has to have the TV volume in the kitchen turned up to high. 

I often turn it off or down but he just turns it back on or up again.  If it is an especially loud TV day, I just wait until he is finished eating and leaves the table.  Then I can eat in silence, no radio or TV.

When I grew up, we were not allowed to have the TV on.  Hs family always had the TV on during meals and all day long...even if they had company.

He is very hard of hearing and my ears are extremely sensitive and I can hear the softest whisper.  I find music, TV or noise other than Talking an overload to my ears

Honored Contributor

Re: Eating in Silence?

[ Edited ]

@OKPrincess wrote:

Growing up we ate at the table each night with no TV on. We talked to each other.

DH and I have the TV on but not loud.

Times have changed.

When my GS was around 13 or 14 yrs old, conversation I overheard between him & his father (SIL).

"Greatma makes me eat at the dining room table when I am at her house.  There is no tv in that room!  Can you buy her a tv?"

"Nana has a tv in her dining room but turns it off when we eat.  Always when I am watching my favorite tv show.  Can you talk to her or should Mom?"

SIL response, "My house my rules, Greatma & Nana's house, their rules."

GS is now 19.

Greatma is still waiting for her new tv for the dining room.

Nana is still waiting for "the talk" from DD.  SIL knows better than to say anything to me.

http://oi59.tinypic.com/23uzrjo.jpg

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

We eat in front of our TV’s.   

Honored Contributor

Growing up, there were 5 kids, 1 or 2 friends of the kids, my mom (my dad ate his dinner sitting in his recliner watching tv), a dog and cat.  So, eating in silence was not possible.  There was lots of laughing, chatting, aruguing at the dinner table.  That's probably why my dad ate in the den.  In my own family, we had a tv in the kitchen and that was on when we ate breafast but no tv when we ate dinner.  Dinner was for eating and actually talking with each other.  Now it's hubby and me, we actually like each other so do talk at dinner time.  It just never occurred to me to watch tv or listen to music while we eat.

Trusted Contributor

I grew up in a family where dinner time was for family and catching up on everyone's day. Today in my family the tradition continues no cell phones or tv at the dinner table just family and good conversations. If someone had a bad day we are there for them.  We all have busy lives and so to us, this is the time we come together once a day as a family.