Respected Contributor

Re: Eames chair, anyone??

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

@FrostyBabe1   @ECBG   Herman Miller made the original Eames chair and still make the same chair.  There's no question as to its authenticity. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eames_Lounge_Chair?wprov=sfla1

Thank you!!! I knew it was real. i got it right from the Herman Miller website, but I appreciate the confirmation. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Valued Contributor

When I saw Herman Miller I thought of my job.  They make a lot of cubicles/ workstations for federal agencies.  

Respected Contributor

@FrostyBabe1 wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@FrostyBabe1   @ECBG   Herman Miller made the original Eames chair and still make the same chair.  There's no question as to its authenticity. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eames_Lounge_Chair?wprov=sfla1

Thank you!!! I knew it was real. i got it right from the Herman Miller website, but I appreciate the confirmation. 

@FrostyBabe1 

I have one of the first ones made and you will be happy to know that it is still beautiful and holding up. Every time I have something appraised they go  to the Eames to take a look. I have a friend who always heads right for that chair when visiting. She always says," one day when my ship comes in." I am downsizing soon and I am going to surprise her with the chair. I am trying to come up with some clever way to do it.

Honored Contributor

Re: Eames chair, anyone??

[ Edited ]

I'm going to pass. I know they're comfortable as an uncle had one, and the look has become somewhat of a classic. While I don't find them unattractive, I also don't find them appealing enough to want one for my home. Then there's the price, which is, for me, over the top, but isn't it nice that everyone gets to make their own choices and establish their own priorities.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

To me there are things worth investing in:  a good kitchen sink and faucets, a stove, a mattress, great sheets, shoes, and if you sit in it and love it and will have it a long time--that chair!

What we use most and spend most time in is important.  

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

To me there are things worth investing in:  a good kitchen sink and faucets, a stove, a mattress, great sheets, shoes, and if you sit in it and love it and will have it a long time--that chair!

What we use most and spend most time in is important.  

True enough and yet also true that not everyone has the same resources at their disposal... There is a lot to be said for buying the best one can afford of those things that make life a bit better and that matter most to any given person... Woman Wink

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@FrostyBabe1 

The two universities I live near used to have a combined

DON’T MAKE ME DRAG THIS HOME SALE,

every spring before Graduation, and summer exodus, it was held in alternating football stadiums.  I lucked out and purchased one for less than $500, a fortune to a struggling student.  I bet his parents were not happy, or perhaps they bought new ones!

Many years later,  I was able to have it refurbished, and recovered by Herman Miller, who provided me with a certificate of authenticity for insurance purposes.

It is not in concert with our home, but is much beloved.  Post marriage DH commandeered it as his captains chair.  I tell him it was my dowry.

Hope you LOVE your new family member, and be sure to give it a name.

I was told that they were designed to come apart to allow transportation in a suitcase 🧳.  

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@FrostyBabe1   In the last days of my mom's cancer a similar looking chair was the only think she could sit in and be comfortable.  The one she had was all leather.

Honored Contributor

Enjoy your new chair!!

Honored Contributor

It sure looks super cool and very comfortable!