Honored Contributor

EFFICIENT BLOGGER DECLUTTERS HER BASEMENT

Dawn Madsen has got decluttering down to a science, but she's not overbearing about it.  She's so genial (always) and calm as she goes about organizing her space.

Her big thing is, even storing items causes a certain amount of "stress".  What she wants to do is simply limit the number of items in her house that she must constantly "manage".   Interesting concepts.  I couldn't be as mimimal as she, but can see that the continual decluttering that we do, and recount on the purging thread here, really can pay off, especially in peace of mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UbGHXzEUAo

Respected Contributor

Re: EFFICIENT BLOGGER DECLUTTERS HER BASEMENT

I liked the point she made about getting rid of the pillow she paid a quarter for at a garage sale......if you get rid of something like that, it’s not like you will NEVER find another pillow again if you need one!

Unless it’s handmade or a family heirloom....you can replace anything you get rid of, if you find that you really need it!

Honored Contributor

That's exactly the point that resonated with me, @alicedee.  Unless something has special meaning for you, you don't need to keep it in your life "just in case".  Chances are you may never need it, and it may be highly replaceable if you do.  In the meantime, it's one less thing hanging around that you're neutral or not crazy about.

"Deferred decision making", that she talks about,  where you weigh the pros and cons of keeping something, then don't make a decision, also seems wasteful.  Do I really want to have to come back again, and dither--  or make a clean decision, and move on, having handled it once.

That's an area I'd like to get better at.  Of course there are those "borderline" items, (usually sentimental, in which case I don't mind taking a while to decide), but in more cases than not, I really know whether something is contributing in some way, or not.

Honored Contributor

Oh lord.

I got anxiety & bugged out right at the beginning!

All that workout equipment & treadmill right in a

wet basement next to the sump pump...probably mold. 

NoNoNoNoNoNoNo

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oznell 

A water-logged basement is like a horror chamber to me!

I'd NEVER be able to use that space for storage.

Having said that, I find decluttering is mostly common sense.  If you are NOT using something, it needs a new home.

And, you must be vigilent.  My sis lets her mail stack up for DAYS!  I don't get it.

I've found I have to just start packing stuff and keep going until it feels like I'm making progress.

Thank goodness it's been easy for me to do.  Mostly, I run out of energy!

Honored Contributor

From what I've seen of the way she operates, @sidsmom and @Witchy Woman,  they'll get the basement thing under control, ha.  At least her brother knows how to minimize the potential for health risk in the meantime...

I've always been horrified by water in basements too.  We NEVER got any flooding, for a couple of decades, in our 100 year old house, then, all of a sudden, some water started coming in when it rained heavily.

Hubby is a very analytical engineer and even he has had a hard time solving it.  The variables are many.  But his latest combined efforts seem to be working, fingers crossed...  

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell 

I have NEVER liked basements!  EVER.  As a child, our coal-burning furnace was in the "cellar."  Also, the hand-wringing clothes washer.

It was dirty and dark.  Get this, however.  On the days the coal was delivered down the chute to the cellar, my sis and I would gather at the bottom of the steps to watch it roll down into the bin.  We probably have coal dust in our lungs!

Anyway, my biggest problem with "clutter" is having lots and lots of storage.  Mine has been out of sight since I had ample china cabinets and places to put things.

When I finally started clearing out, I was stunned at the things I had accummulated! 

While I used to entertain large crowds and needed this stuff, that time is over...never to return.

I realize that not everyone is like me....most folks need hints or guidance for getting rid of stuff.  I'm pretty ruthless when it comes to decluttering. 

I don't get attached to things...and that's a blessing.

At this stage in my life, I cannot get rid of things fast enough!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oh, I envy that in you, @Witchy Woman.  I've gotten better at getting rid of things, clearly, but so far, only SOME things.  And like you, I have too much storage space, so "out of sight, out of mind".   Our 1910 cottage is only around 1500 square feet, but the walk-up attic is huge, and it's been only too easy to blithely consign things to its cavernous spaces! 

Any child would love a coal shute, especially one with black dust that floats up and can get on your outfit!  Whoosh!  What fun you must have had!

Honored Contributor

Our farm home had a coal chute, as well.

Can’t speak for WW, but messing with the chute and/or coal

was a HUGE no-no from Dad. At the time, we didn’t know why,

but we respected it. 

Respected Contributor

I enjoy her channel a lot. 

‘She is so calm.