Honored Contributor

Re: EDSEL FORD HOUSE IN MICHIGAN IS OPEN TO THE PUBLIC

Yes,  to migrating birds and the meadow, @Queen of shop and yes to gate houses, @jubilant --  those elements grabbed me in the same way!

Honored Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

Good question, @Nonametoday .   Apparently before Eleanor Ford died, she expressed the wish that the house be open to the public.  The Ford family seems to be at least partly (or wholly, not sure) involved in running it...

Wiki had some fascinating tidbits about it.  I love the details about the "Modern Room" being designed by a leading industrial designer using new methods at the time:

Other interesting design elements include kitchen counters made of sterling silver, a "secret" photographic darkroom behind a panel of Edsel Ford's office, and Art Deco style rooms designed by Walter Dorwin Teague, a leading industrial designer of the 1930s. Teague's first floor "Modern Room" features 'the new' indirect lighting method, taupe colored leather wall panels, and a curved niche with eighteen vertical mirrored sections.[10]

@Oznell 

I love the juxtaposition of antiques with modern if it is not too overdone.  I will go to Wiki and read it more thoroughly.   Thanks for the heads-up.  Anderson Cooper whose name is really something else or maybe reverse of name... I cannot recall.  But, I think still has some interest in the Biltmore.  Not sure for a fact but someone who once worked there as a docent while attending university in that area told me that.  Could be true, might not be.  I would like to think there is still some relationship. 

Esteemed Contributor

Just magnificant!  Beautiful home and grounds.  I can't even imagine living with such opulence!  But I'd certainly like to try.  

Valued Contributor

Beautiful house and setting! Yes, it is a Cotswald-type house; very English looking. My favorite room is the drawing room. 

Respected Contributor

I an interest in seeing the Ford Museum. Could someone who is familiar with the area tell me the safest way to visit? I'm told to not stay in Detroit. 

Respected Contributor

@Oznell  This is absolutely gorgeous and so livable. I love the architecture and the decor.  It must have been wonderful to live there and to walk through the beautiful garden.

The setting for this estate is perfect. Thank you for posting such lovely pictures.

Honored Contributor

@granddi,  wow, that would be so much fun.  Here's the link to the Ford house that has a lot of information for visitors  If you click on "Visit" at the site, it gives their phone number and you could ask them about good places to stay near by.

https://www.fordhouse.org/

I don't know enough to advise you;  I think Grosse Pointe Shores, the pretty suburb where the Ford house is, is about 12 or 15 miles from Detroit.  

Here's an idea:   By the time a thread gets this long, not that many people are reading all the way to the end, so people who might have ideas of where you could stay might not see your question.

SO, if you wanted to, you could create a thread in Among Friends or Community Chat, and ask your question.  You'd probably get a lot of responses.

Or, you could google:   Where to stay near the Edsel Ford House, or Motels near the Edsel Ford House.  And the House itself when you call, will probably advise you about the safety of various areas.

@Enufstuff,  my pleasure-- posting the pictures gives me a chance to drool over them once again!

Honored Contributor

I love the home's exterior and the grounds. Gorgeous! The interior is beautiful too, just too formal for me. 

Respected Contributor

What a gorgeous estate. The grounds and location are stunning. The location looks like it would be Grosse Pointe or St Clair shores. I love everything inside the house, especially the drawing room.

Respected Contributor

My oh my! I have no words for it. Well, maybe spectacular inside and out.