Honored Contributor

ECLECTIC NEW YORK APARTMENT, COLORFUL

072916_MichelleSmithJaymere_1.jpg

It's a challenge these days to find a recently decorated apartment that isn't stark white!  Jay Meredith ("Jaymere") Stein (I think she's a buyer for Ralph Lauren) on the left, lives here with her husband and adorable Cavalier King Charles spaniel, "Izzy".  Decorator Michelle Smith, on the right, helped her put it together.

"Jaymere"'s point of view, as I read it, is:  color, softness, a well-traveled feeling.  She's Southern, and had a number of sentimental, inherited keepsakes that needed to be worked in.  It's so refreshing to see something that resists the current trends, I wanted to post. 

Michelle Smith, her designer, said she saw her client's style as being an amalgam of legendary Italian designer Renzo Mongiardino, and the late Lee Radziwill.  I totally see that, and admire both of those design influences.

Striking Moroccan 'peacock' mirror in the living room. It introduces that international, exotic note that makes the more traditional pieces, and the modern ones like the transparent coffee table, more interesting.

072916_MichelleSmithJaymere_2.jpg

Utterly enviable chest with bun feet!

072916_MichelleSmithJaymere_14.jpg

Thought you might want to see that sleepy cutie pie again....  I love that there is both pink and blue in living room-- those kind of color combinations make me happy...

072916_MichelleSmithJaymere_9.jpg

She juxtaposed that North African mirror with delicate candle sconces and with modern plates by Penny Morrison, who is a Welsh designer, I think.  Discerning eclecticism. 

072916_MichelleSmithJaymere_17.jpg

I like the throwaway touch of collected match boxes displayed in a huge shell.  Drinks table is a distressed console...

072916_MichelleSmithJaymere_15.jpg

True to quirky New York apartment space constraints, there is no designated dining room.  So here we have the "entry/cozy dining space" combo!   Note blue walls and buttercream ceiling.  Crazy lamps, not my preference, but I think they fit with her diverse tastes.   Modern high style, maybe Italian?

072916_MichelleSmithJaymere_19.jpg

But, lacking a true dining room, there are still two, count 'em, TWO bedrooms!   The master is soft and romantic.  The owner had already selected the wall paper (as she also did the apartment's paint colors) before hiring Michelle Smith).  It's not a toile, but it sort of acts like a toile, and the low-contrast of the pattern is pleasing.  I don't like high contrast papers.

072916_MichelleSmithJaymere_6.jpg

072916_MichelleSmithJaymere_12.jpg

She had very clear ideas of what she wanted.  For example, she wanted the second bedroom to be quite different.  It looks sweet and restful to me-- sort of "English country house".  You can't really tell here, but the walls are lavender.

072916_MichelleSmithJaymere_4.jpg

Love the botanicals.  Pansies are my favorites.  And again, the tiger pillow introduces a witty counterpoint.

072916_MichelleSmithJaymere_10.jpg

072916_MichelleSmithJaymere_11.jpg

I wish they had shown the kitchen.  "One King's Lane" is funny that way-- they sometimes leave important things out.  But their house tour blog is a good source for finding ideas and interiors that don't necessarily mirror all the other ones out there online right now.

072916_MichelleSmithJaymere_Lead1.jpg

Respected Contributor

Re: ECLECTIC NEW YORK APARTMENT, COLORFUL

@Oznell 

My favs:

The entry/small dining area - love the ceiling & wall color.  Is that a grass type wallpaper?

The wallpaper in the master bedroom is very soft & beautiful.

I do like the 2nd bedroom more though.  It's less busy & even though I'm not a fan of the "purple family" this light lavender doesn't overwhelm the room.

You always have interesting pics, while narrating the stories at the same time.  Thank you,

Trusted Contributor

So many pieces to love - Especially the chest w/bun feet, and the buffet piece in the dining room. Also, the two-tiered glass and brass little table is gorgeous, as well as the lighting in both bedrooms, and the mirror above the console. Thank you for these! 👍

F/N/A luvstogarden
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is pretty. I do like the colors and eclectic design.

I would have to replace the Lucite coffee table. I really don't like Lucite furniture. I also really don't like plates hanging on walls. I have no idea why but I have never liked the wall plate decor idea. 

Love the mirror above the blue sofa...color is gorgeous.

Honored Contributor

Interesting.  That blue couch has "one fit into turquoise.  Yellow is a guaranteed mask.  The LR is the primary colors, red-yellow-blue.  All they did was chose tints (the lights) of the basic colors.

Buy the Paint Chip Paper Pad by Craft Smart®, 12" x 12" at Michaels

My favorite room was the bedroom.

Honored Contributor

The couches are beautiful and I would love them in my home!  I also love the chairs, all elegant.  The chest with the bun feet is stunning and the bedrooms both warm and inviting.  I like most oof the art work and decor  and in general give this apartment a big YES!

Esteemed Contributor

I like both bedrooms and that chest with the drawers.  The mirror over the couch is certainly a focal point but not my taste at all.

Honored Contributor

Yes, to answer your question, @sceniccoast ,  that is blue grasscloth in the entry/dining area.  Agreed, it's pretty!  A nice switch-up from the usual, more neutral grasscloth you see (although I tend to like that too.)

Respected Contributor

The two bedrooms are my favorites and of course I like the dog.

Esteemed Contributor

Lovely to view every room. I'm not a wallpaper person but loved their wallpaper. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau