Honored Contributor

EARLY EIGHTEEN HUNDREDS LONG ISLAND HOUSE

I think the design team of "McGrath II" pulled off a good one here.  This is an authentic old 1800's farmhouse on Long Island that they have made comfortable for today.   

I am really liking this sort of "terra cotta" color in entry way, and of course, the wide floor boards.  Beautiful bench.

2019_09_10-McGrath-0401XXX.jpg

I'm not usually a "warm colors" person, but I think they work so well here.  I even like the sprightly patterned curtains-- not too aggressive.  The whole room gives me a welcoming feeling.

2019_09_10-McGrath-0256XXX.jpg

brick-fireplace-sisal-rug-living-room-topiaries-woven-roman-shades-long-island-farmhouse-mcgrath-ii.jpg

A smaller, intimate sitting room off the living room.  Apparently, the wood paneling was originally very dark, and they've done a "faux bois" paint treatment on it to make it light.  It's pretty against the pewter-colored fireplace mantel:

2019_09_10-McGrath-0285XXX-1.jpg

The dining room is a quiet "wow" for me, giving me a vibe of traditional, "old" Scandinavian style.  LOVE that unusual zinc-topped antique table.  At least, I'm guessing it's zinc.  And the pale, vaguely Gustavian-looking chairs, with those gingham seats...  A romantic room, yet simple, not going overboard.

2019_09_10-McGrath-0310XX-2.jpg

The landscape mural is sort of dreamy and muted....

dining-room-landscape-mural-walls-swedish-chairs-gingham-wood-floors-long-island-farmhouse-mcgrath-ii-2.jpg

That cabinet!   And you can see the detail of the table. 

2019_09_10-McGrath-0322X-1.jpg

Looking back to front hall and living room.

dining-room-landscape-mural-walls-swedish-chairs-gingham-wood-floors-long-island-farmhouse-mcgrath-ii.jpg

Fireplaces everywhere.  Have you noticed that one room peeks directly into another throughout, with a minimum of hallways and passages?  I think that's one clue that this was indeed originally a farmhouse, since they were often built that way to save on heating of "extra" spaces.

2019_09_10-McGrath-0129XXXX.jpg

Our powder room is just as teensy as this one.

2019_09_10-McGrath-0384XXX.jpg

Love that color, and the antique mirror combined with the unpretentious plant.  They're calling this the "back foyer".

2019_09_10-McGrath-0147XXX.jpg

Pretty bedroom.

2019_09_10-McGrath-0056XXX.jpg

Personally, I'm not fond of canopies or bed hangings, I like a more spare look.  The handsome sprigged fabric is consistent with the spirit of the room, however.

bedroom-canopy-four-poster-bed-floral-bed-hanging-feminine-romantic-neutral-long-island-farmhouse-mcgrath-ii.jpg

2019_09_10-McGrath-0072XXX.jpg

They described this as "attic room" , but isn't it the room you can see from the bedroom?  They must both be in the attic.  Love the old-fashioned simplicity....

attic-room-wallpaper-neutral-rocking-chair-long-island-farmhouse-mcgrath-ii.jpg

attic-room-wallpaper-balloon-roman-shade-demi-lune-table-desk-long-island-farmhouse-mcgrath-ii.jpg

I wish they had shown the kitchen, and the exterior. 

Frequent Contributor

Re: EARLY EIGHTEEN HUNDREDS LONG ISLAND HOUSE

Gorgeous, when can I move in, my bags are packed.  😀

Respected Contributor

Yes, I do love this...wish to see the kitchen also!
Honored Contributor

So pretty!  The murals are exquisite as is the furniture pieces.  The curtains/drapes are lovely and add warmth to the rooms.  I love the bedroom chair with the ruffled slipcover.  There are many aspects of this home which appeal, it is a big yes for me!

Respected Contributor

I love every thing about this house. 

Honored Contributor

Beautiful.  So appropriately done, a real tribute to that grand ol'dame of a house.

Valued Contributor

The house is so charming.  I would change removing the canopies and bed hangings as I feel they are big dust collectors.

Love the terra cotta color of back foyer.

Respected Contributor

This is the layout of my house. Just not that fancy or fussy.

Honored Contributor

Sort of related:  I hate those chairs that lean way back from the table. How are you supposed to be comfortable sitting up to eat and visit?

Respected Contributor

Very attractive.  Love the doors. 

“If we couldn’t laugh we would all go insane.”- Jimmy Buffet