Contributor

Re: Dyson…..does anything last and really work these days?

I have a Dyson DC07 Hepa Animal Upright. I purchased it 9 years ago and use it almost daily. I shouldn't say use, I should say abuse. I not only use it in the house, but also the garage and front and back patios. I've even vaccumed the dead leaves off of the patio plants. That machine just keeps on working and yes it does have a belt and it's the original.

Before that I had an Oreck, recommended to me by a woman that used one when she worked as a hotel maid. The Oreck ate belts, at least one a month. The company kept sending them to me and they just kept breaking. I ended up donating the lemon.

My mother had an Electolux cannister for over 30 years, she still misses it.

I think with all products there are a few bad ones in the bunch.

Honored Contributor

Have you called their cs? They are great with problem solving over the phone! I've had my Dyson for several years now, couldn't live without it! I loved it so much I got another Dyson for my cottage!

"Pure Michigan"
Super Contributor

I have a Dyson a little over a year old, very disappointed in it. I purchased the Sharp lift away, what a great Vacumn Dyson never picked up the way the Sharp does. Dyson is all hype
Honored Contributor

On 2/22/2015 gigy said:

I have the Dyson Canister, have had it for about one year now. The brush head stopped working about 6 months ago and the company sent me a new one. Today as I was vacuuming, again the brush head stopped working and the vacuum is not picking anything up. I checked for clogs, everything is clear, but not working.

I get so tired of this. Why do things fall apart, especially when they are this expensive? Anyone else having issues with their Dyson?

It sounds more like the belt has snapped (or come off) rather than anything being wrong with the actual brush head.

I've had a Dyson upright (Animal 41) for 9 or 10 years now. About six months ago the brush head stopped spinning and picking up anything. When I checked, the belt had broken - I'd caught something in it and it jammed, then snapped. I simply went online and ordered a new one (not from Dyson, they're too expensive), installed it (easy!) and everything is working fine again.

I'm surprised Dyson simply sent you a new brush head without trying to determine if that was the problem. I'd say that was pretty decent of them.

Honored Contributor

On 2/22/2015 mcall1020 said: I don't think Dysons have belts. That was one of the reasons I bought it. I have the upright ball animal. It's still doing a good job after 5 years.

Mine certainly does. I'm not sure how the brush head would turn without the belt? And that's likely the problem the OP is having - the belt has snapped, so......the brush head doesn't turn.

When mine snapped I found a very clear tutorial online about how to replace it. Took minutes, once I'd ordered a replacement belt.

Esteemed Contributor

Amongst all the things we cleared out of my Dad's home when he passed, my husband likes to use the Orek vaccuum my Dad purchased some years ago. It's still going great, is made well (and in the U.S.), can get under furniture and not one part of it is falling apart.

My husband is a retired engineer, so is incredibly picky about quality/design/type of parts used when it comes to this kind of thing. I prefer my Electrolux, which is also made well, but he really raves about his Orek.

Respected Contributor

In my opinion Dysons are too expensive. I am so pleased with my $70 Hoover Wide Path, with all tools attached, that I bought from Walmart several years ago. It is an upright and does what it is supposed to do.

Super Contributor

On 2/22/2015 gigy said:

Sounds to me like many of us are having problems with these Dysons. I am going to call the corporate office and complain. Perhaps to some people, $500.00 is not much, but to me it is a good amount of money to spend on an item that you hope will last a few years. I think as soon as I can, I will buy a Shark Powered Lift Away machine that so many people love and are happy with.

I got the shark TSV. Thought I would try it since I had heard so many good reviews about shark. It think it picks up okay. Maybe a little better than okay. It's hard to tell because I have a newer carper that is still in shedding stage, so the canister filled very quickly with the carpet fibers. But I will say that the shark is very heavy. I've been using an Oreck, which really still seems like it works well to me. I just heard so many good reviewes about the shark, and thought if it was better than the Oreck then I didnt want to miss out. The shark is good, but noticeably heavier, even noticeable when pushing not just lifting from place to place. For now I will keep it, and will probably use both the Oreck and shark and use one or the other depending on how I am feeling that day. I do like the lift away part with the shark, where with the Oreck I have to drag out the canister. And I don't think that canister is really convienient to use.
Super Contributor

On 2/24/2015 Lynnj said:
On 2/22/2015 gigy said:

Sounds to me like many of us are having problems with these Dysons. I am going to call the corporate office and complain. Perhaps to some people, $500.00 is not much, but to me it is a good amount of money to spend on an item that you hope will last a few years. I think as soon as I can, I will buy a Shark Powered Lift Away machine that so many people love and are happy with.

I got the shark TSV. Thought I would try it since I had heard so many good reviews about shark. It think it picks up okay. Maybe a little better than okay. It's hard to tell because I have a newer carper that is still in shedding stage, so the canister filled very quickly with the carpet fibers. But I will say that the shark is very heavy. I've been using an Oreck, which really still seems like it works well to me. I just heard so many good reviewes about the shark, and thought if it was better than the Oreck then I didnt want to miss out. The shark is good, but noticeably heavier, even noticeable when pushing not just lifting from place to place. For now I will keep it, and will probably use both the Oreck and shark and use one or the other depending on how I am feeling that day. I do like the lift away part with the shark, where with the Oreck I have to drag out the canister. And I don't think that canister is really convienient to use.
Oh forgot to mention that I also have the Dyson stick. It's okay. I don't think its worth all of the money they charge for dysons. Not sure my stick picks up any better than any other good stick types. Probably would have made out better had I purchased a cheaper stick that I needed to throw away and replace after time. Because this Dyson stick cost so much I am holding on to it, but I am sure if I pirchased a cheap stick type tomorrow it would probably pick up as good if not better than the Dyson I have now. Don't get me wrong, the Dyson stick was good at first, but it didn't last long.
Honored Contributor

We have a sweeper shop not far from us that has been in business forever. The gentleman that sells sweepers in there and has for many years (even worked years for the man that owned it before him) does not have much use for Dyson. They also repair and revamp and sell used sweepers. He said the Dyson's are in his shop for repairs more than any other sweeper he carries.