Frequent Contributor

Re: Dyson…..does anything last and really work these days?

My Dyson upright has a reset button. When my shoelace got caught in the roller the roller automatically switched off. It is designed that way. I took out the roller just to check it and it was okay. I then hit the reset button and the roller works again. Maybe you need to check your instructions for your particular model for help. Good luck.
Honored Contributor

I for one am tired of it too! I had a Dyson Animal and right after the warranty was up, the clutch system went out on the machine. Dyson would not cover it but I could send it in to be repaired but their back log at the time was high and would take about 8 months to be repaired (at MY cost OF AROUND $200!). It was an expensive machine, so I looked around locally for a repair shop. When I brought it in the repair guy showed me an army of Dysons needing repair (at least 30 standing in a row)... so mine went in the Que. I received a phone call that the clutch was broken and could be repaired for $170 as soon as a replacement piece was sent from the Dyson company.

Got it back and it worked beautifully again.... for awhile. About 4 months later the clutch went out on it again~! It was at that point that I threw it in the garbage and won't even look at another Dyson product.

Point of Interest: The gentleman that fixed Vacuums in our small town was excellent at what he did. He repaired Kirbys, Miele's, all contemporary models, Antique and Vintage models including the old Singers. He did beautiful work but when I brought in my Dyson he said (he was blunt older man, lol) that the product was basically awful in his opinion and that's when he pointed out the army of Dysons waiting to be fixed. He said he got two times the Dysons as any other brand to be repaired.

And they kept him in business.

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Honored Contributor

On 2/26/2015 Q4U said:

I for one am tired of it too! I had a Dyson Animal and right after the warranty was up, the clutch system went out on the machine. Dyson would not cover it but I could send it in to be repaired but their back log at the time was high and would take about 8 months to be repaired (at MY cost OF AROUND $200!). It was an expensive machine, so I looked around locally for a repair shop. When I brought it in the repair guy showed me an army of Dysons needing repair (at least 30 standing in a row)... so mine went in the Que. I received a phone call that the clutch was broken and could be repaired for $170 as soon as a replacement piece was sent from the Dyson company.

Got it back and it worked beautifully again.... for awhile. About 4 months later the clutch went out on it again~! It was at that point that I threw it in the garbage and won't even look at another Dyson product.

Point of Interest: The gentleman that fixed Vacuums in our small town was excellent at what he did. He repaired Kirbys, Miele's, all contemporary models, Antique and Vintage models including the old Singers. He did beautiful work but when I brought in my Dyson he said (he was blunt older man, lol) that the product was basically awful in his opinion and that's when he pointed out the army of Dysons waiting to be fixed. He said he got two times the Dysons as any other brand to be repaired.

And they kept him in business.

We also have a man, we have gone to for many years - all he does is fix vacuums. His shop is also packed with Dyson far more than any other brand. He said he can not keep up with all the work.

I am sorry I bought my Dyson. I rarely use it and prefer my Hoover Max.

Honored Contributor

I didn't state this in my other post. In 45 yrs. of marriage, kids, grandkids, and pets, we have had good luck with Hoover and Eureka. We branched out a little to try something different and bought an Oreck just a few months ago so ......I can't say how they hold up.... but we are really liking it. It is so light but it still picks up the nap in our carpet very well.

Regular Contributor

I have the exact same issue with my Dyson canister. I've had it about a year and up until this point I've loved it. Easy to maneuver, love the swiveling bare floor head, picks up everything. Now nothing appears to be clogged, it seems to run just fine, but its not picking anything up. I cleaned the filter, my husband looked at it and neither one of us can find anything wrong with it. I also have the Dyson stick and have had a Dyson upright for years. Love both and never any problems with either one. I'm so disappointed in the canister though.

Occasional Contributor

I have a Dyson Upright Animal (the purple one with the Ball- maybe a DC41?)

I have had it for 7 years now. I have 5 dogs- including 2 Siberian Huskies- and it is going strong. I have part carpet and part tile in my house.

I love that vacuum!!

Esteemed Contributor

I have mine for many years but I hate it!! I would never buy another Dyson again. My problem is the weight, manageability,(very hard to maneuver around) and that stupid hose s**ks up everything near it ! I have a million more complaints but to many to list

Dyson and Kirby are the 2 worst brands ever bought!

Occasional Contributor

I have purchased two Dyson Animal canisters. The first one was extremely heavy and so powerful it sucked up one of my sneakers. It did a great job on my wool carpets, but was too bulky to push around my furniture without banging up everything. I gave it away.

I purchased a new expensive Dyson Animal with numerous attachments less than two years ago. After only about a month, I lost suction, which rendered the attachments useless. It does a poor job on my carpets, and even worse on the upholstery with the special attachment.

I have three cats and was miffed when the vacuum would not pick up most of the cat litter on the floor and carpet. It would not pick up a small leaf when I rolled over it. Isn't this expensive vacuum targeted for households with animals?

Now, I have noticed that when I go to empty the canister, the small plastic gizmo that allows the canister to disengage is cracked.

I have done all of the normal maintenance, and I have had mediocre overall results. For such an expensive appliance, I expect more.

I give up on Dyson. It is too finicky and too expensive for what it does.