Honored Contributor

Duvet cover OVER comforter question

[ Edited ]

There's a comforter I have my eye on that also offers a duvet cover (separately, of course).

Can I put the duvet cover over the comforter, or does the comforter have to be much smaller for the cover to fit properly?

I guess I'm asking, are the blankets/comforters that go INSIDE the duvet--smaller and usually plain white? 

I've never done a duvet before.  Only reason why I want a duvet cover is because I'd like to protect the actual comforter (grandsons!) and will only have to wash the duvet cover.

Hope this makes sense

Honored Contributor

Re: Duvet cover OVER comforter question

[ Edited ]

I put my duvet cover over a comforter I bought years ago. It's not made to go inside a duvet, but it does. I live in Central Texas and it's only cold enough for a comforter 2-3 months of the year, so I saw no need to buy a duvet when I already had a comforter and just wanted to change the look.

Honored Contributor

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

I put my duvet cover over a comforter I bought years ago. It's not made to go inside a duvet, but it does. I live in Central Texas and it's only cold enough for a comforter 2-3 months of the year, so I saw no need to buy a duvet when I already had a comforter and just wanted to change the look.

Thanks for answering!

Hope this doesn't sound stupid, but they sell 'duvets'?  I've never seen one (I don't think). 

But somehow I imagine it to be just a plain white or natural colored *puff* or comforter.

I guess since I've already bought the comforters, I was hoping I could buy the duvet covers to protect them.  And I'd only need wash the cover instead of the whole comforter.

Trusted Contributor

Yes, you are correct. A duvet is similar to a comforter but it is plain. It can be filled with feathers or fiber. Usually they have stitching - many time squares - that isolate whatever the filling is so it doesn't move around as much.

I see no reason that you couldn't actually put a comforter inside a duvet cover as long as it will fit. Look at the measurements of the comforter and look at the measurement for the duvet cover.

My duvet is queen size which is usually around 86" x 86". I've bought covers at IKEA that fit it nicely. I used to buy covers out of the Company Store catalogue but their sizing is now non-standard; it fits their duvet offerings so I don't buy them anymore.

And if sew, you can make your own covers. It's just like making a giant pillowcase! I've sewn several.

Honored Contributor

The comforter and duvet should be about the same size.  I'd think long and hard before investing much in a duvet.  I hate the darn things because they make a bed look like a rumpled mess.  I had one; couldn't get rid of it fast enough. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Lucky Charm wrote:

@ChynnaBlue wrote:

Thanks for answering!

Hope this doesn't sound stupid, but they sell 'duvets'?  I've never seen one (I don't think). 

But somehow I imagine it to be just a plain white or natural colored *puff* or comforter.

I guess since I've already bought the comforters, I was hoping I could buy the duvet covers to protect them.  And I'd only need wash the cover instead of the whole comforter.

@Lucky Charm  There's no puff to a duvet.  It's just a big envelope that looks like two sheets sewn together.  I see them advertised all the time. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Assuming you've measured the duvet/comforter, and those measurements match up to the cover, you should be fine.  The only thing to watch for would be if there's a pattern on the comforter and the duvet fabric is either too light or too thin that the comforter pattern would show through.

Honored Contributor

A duvet cover ,is like two sheets sowed together to put your comforter in, there are thousands of them.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

I ended up using a duvet cover as a bedspread 

no one will know, the down comforter just gave out and now I use an electric blanket 

Honored Contributor

The duvets I've had never seemed to be right. Whatever I put inside of them usually shifted around and made a messWoman Frustrated. Didn't like this at all and it was more work than it was worth. I gave them away.