Honored Contributor

Re: Duvet cover OVER comforter question

@Kachina624 wrote:

The comforter and duvet should be about the same size.  I'd think long and hard before investing much in a duvet.  I hate the darn things because they make a bed look like a rumpled mess.  I had one; couldn't get rid of it fast enough. 

I totally agree with this! They never look like the pictures in the magazines or on the packaging, unless the bed is never used (like a guest room). They get very rumpled and sloppy looking, in my opinion. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 et al--

I realize the duvet cover is thin and *empty*.  I figured they actually sold *duvets*--which would be just a plain comforter-like *filler*.  Something to put inside the duvet cover.

I've never done duvets/duvet covers before. 

It would be for our (young) grandsons' beds, that they would only sleep in them on weekends, or a week here and a week there.

I already bought the comforters and love them.  Don't want to have to wash them every time the kids leave, I thought I'd cover it with a duvet cover (exact same pattern--wouldn't matter if it did show through). 

So all I had to do was take duvet cover off and wash that.

ETA:  the duvet covers are the EXACT same measurement as the comforter.  Was thinking it would be too tight.  Not one inch to spare.

Respected Contributor

@Lucky Charm

Posted before on " duvets ".  Besides making the bed look " messy " they add weight on top.

if you are concerned for the weekend youngsters' use, why not just place the next size up sheet so it creates an extra deep " cuff " over the top third of the comforter ?  The extra length can be folded over itself when not needed in between their visits.

HTH

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Esteemed Contributor

I've done this on the guest bed.  Make sure the measurements are generous enough to get the comforter inside the duvet.  It varies depending on the style and thickness of each item. I also found that the button closure seem to work better for me.

Trusted Contributor

I disagree with the comments that covered duvets look sloppy. I think they make a bed look soft, comfy and welcoming. They're used extensively in Europe; that's where I first encountered them. And they come in many different weights so a heavy one isn't always needed unless you live in a freezing climate.

@Lucky Charm- if the cover is the same size as the comforter then the comforter might bunch up inside along the edges. But if this is for occasional use by young kids I wouldn't worry about it. I even have a pretty duvet cover that I bought in England that is a little to small for my current duvets. But it's cotton and colorful and sometimes in the summer I'll still stuff a duvet inside it and not worry about the bunching.