Esteemed Contributor

I am having my rather large puffy filled king comforter dry cleaned.  I really don't want to go through that expense again.  Wonder about Duvet covers. Obviously need a big one. Does anyone know of a good place to look.. Online I checked out Amazon.  But not knowing much about them I would hate to buy one without advice. 

Honored Contributor

@bonnielu  You can often find duvets sold at places that sell comforters and bedspreads.  BBB, Overstock, Macy's, etc.  They are just a big pillowcase in a decorative fabric.  You put your comforter in and the end fastens usually with buttons or ties.  Most people either pin or use special clips to attach the duvet to the comforter inside so the comforter doesn't shift around. 

I have to admit I hate the things.  No matter how careful you are, to me the bed always looks like a rumpled, unsightly mess.  I had one but after fighting with it for a few weeks, I took it off and put it in my donation bag.  I'd suggest trying an inexpensive one to decide if you like it, then for a nicer one if you decide you like it.  If you're a sewer, they're easy to make using a couple of flat sheets. 

Good luck. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I appreciate Kachina's comments. I've often thought of getting a duvet, but Kachina's  observation that they can look so messy makes me drop the idea.

Honored Contributor

I hate them too. Had one many years ago, found it on clearance at Bed Bath Beyond and fell in love with it. It was a Moroccan style pattern.

I tried the clips, everything. It never looked good. Donated it. Don't mean to rain on your parade, just my honest opinion.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Respected Contributor

Re: Duvet Cover Advice

[ Edited ]

duvet.pngI guess I'm the odd man out here....  I LOVE DUVET COVERS!   You can change the look of the room so quickly just by changing the cover and I love that it protects my down comforter.  Some of the duvets come with inside ties in the corners so you can secure the comforter to the duvet.  Yes, sometimes you have to fool with them a little to get the extra fabric the way you want it,  but I love using a duvet.  The most current one I have I purchased from West Elm when it was on sale (they have sales all the time... sign up).

I also purchased the matching pillow shams, and a contrasting solid accent pillow.  The end result is pretty nice if I say so myself, and not sloppy at all.  The furthest thing from that.    I'll see if I can find a pic to show you.

I don't blame you for wanting to protect what you have since it is VERY COSTLY to have blankets and comforters cleaned.  I can clean this current duvet in the wash.

Good luck finding what you like....   they are in so many stores.  Make sure the one you pick can be washed at home,  to save money.  Dry cleaning a duvet is not inexpensive either.....  I know from experience!   Good luck.

Edit:  I've attached a pic of the duvet I selected from West Elm, which doesn't truly show off the beauty of the duvet as well as they could have.  You can add accent pillows or matching shams....  a throw.   Anything you like. 

Respected Contributor

I buy mine from Target.  We don't use a top sheet, so we always have a duvet cover on. I buy the Simply Shabby Chic brand that are washable. You can also buy Duvets that are dry clean only.  I buy a king size down comforter and king size duvet cover for my Queen size bed because I like it longer on the sides.  I also use the duvet clips from Bed Bath ans Beyond, so that the comforter doesn't shift when we are sleeping.  I buy two sets of 4 clips.  I use two clips at every corner.   

Respected Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@bonnielu  You can often find duvets sold at places that sell comforters and bedspreads.  BBB, Overstock, Macy's, etc.  They are just a big pillowcase in a decorative fabric.  You put your comforter in and the end fastens usually with buttons or ties.  Most people either pin or use special clips to attach the duvet to the comforter inside so the comforter doesn't shift around. 

I have to admit I hate the things.  No matter how careful you are, to me the bed always looks like a rumpled, unsightly mess.  I had one but after fighting with it for a few weeks, I took it off and put it in my donation bag.  I'd suggest trying an inexpensive one to decide if you like it, then for a nicer one if you decide you like it.  If you're a sewer, they're easy to make using a couple of flat sheets. 

Good luck. 

We must have really messy beds in England because that's how we do it there. 

Super Contributor

Try IKEA they have inexpensive duvet covers , and they last .

Esteemed Contributor

Got mine a few years ago at Overstock. Don't care if it doesn't look perfect because to me my comforter is my blanket and like I'd do with any blanket I have a quilt over it when I make up the bed.

Esteemed Contributor

JCPenney is usually my store for home & house things. They always have a sale going on and they usually have great selection.