Honored Contributor

Re: Dust abatement during bathroom remodel

I regret not getting a hotel room for a few nights both times I had major work done in my townhouse.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Valued Contributor

@10sluvr wrote:

if you have central heating/cooling be sure to change your air filters. we changed out once a month, when remodel was done. Some people do an air duct cleaning, after the construction, is done.

Thank you, we hadn't thought of that.

Valued Contributor

@VaBelle35 wrote:

I regret not getting a hotel room for a few nights both times I had major work done in my townhouse.

We've thought about doing this during the demolition.  Is that the stage when you would have wanted the hotel?

Honored Contributor

I wouldn't even try. I would empty out as much of my master bedroom as possible, all small furniture, all linens, all curtains etc. Then cover, wrap and tape all furniture that has to be left in the room. Sleep elsewhere for the duration.

Now this is just me, but our master bath is tiny and no way to seal it off from the rest of the room. 

I've had enough renovation done to know that the fine dust will spread so far and so quickly so minimizing it is of the most importance to me. And the complete wash down of all surrounding areas afterward is not to be taken lighly. Deepest cleaning ever.

Valued Contributor

Update:  We put off the bath remodel until now and are in the second week.  The contractor has done a great job keeping down dust and we have been able to sleep in our room.  They do a good job of cleaning up each day before they leave.  We removed everything from the walk-in closet which is accessed through the bath and emptied the furniture.  DH covered all the furniture and covers the bed each morning.  

Honored Contributor

I lived in my former house, as just about every room in the house got remodeled.  Plastic sheeting, plastic over the floor/carpet services, daily cleaning....all of this helps. 

I wish I had also made use of air purifiers back then.   I have two in my present house, and they do catch a lot of dust.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

During kitchen remodel the contractor put up a plastic cocoon of sorts - enter small plastic cubicle from kitchen then zipper, wipe feet and unzip other side.  When you exit, you would rezip.  I still had dust in neighboring rooms, but it was manageable.  It was attached to doorway by tape.  DH a very persnickity individual and I think he was pleased.