Valued Contributor

Re: Dust abatement during bathroom remodel

@decaf wrote:

@Wobin  If they're installing a smaller window, they'll have to do drywall work when done. They may also have drywall work around a new vanity or light fixture, unless it's the exact size or larger than the old one. Drywall work is very dusty. 

After the demo and the drywall repairs the dust will be less but unfortunately this is a very dusty and dirty remodel.  .

Our contractor's crew completely scratched up our hardwood  floors in the master BR and living room getting the debris out.  Your contractor needs to completely cover any paths they'll walk on to get debris from bathrm to outside  the home.. 

Please don't try to sleep in that BR.

Oh dear, not the hardwood floors!  I'll buy cheap runners or something to protect those.  Our bedroom is carpeted but not the hall and living areas.  Thank you for your suggestions!

Respected Contributor

In my old house, I had my hardwood floors re-done.  He put up a heavy duty piece of plastic that separated where they were working and the hall that way to bedrooms.  The dust/dirt was everywhere when he was done.  Everything had to be cleaned and wiped down (my furniture was put into storage).  In my new house, we've remodeled 3 bathrooms, did one of them a seccond time...just finished this week...master included.  No problems with dust and dirt.  Contractors always cleaned up at end of day.  We slept in our bedroom while our master bath was being done.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Wobin   Hi...   I hope you enjoy the finished room.  Our contractor did our Master Bath, Kitchen and is now doing all the upstairs floor in all the bedrooms and hall,  and our staircase.  When he's working in a room either the door is closed or he uses heavy plastic to minimize the dust escaping.  He also vacuums and cleans up at the end of every day.   We never had an issue breathing.  Naturally there will be tiny dust particles throughout the house for weeks as they move and settle.  We also used a few portable air purifiers throughout the house, and have an April Air on our house system, which is helpful. 

Respected Contributor

@Wobin wrote:

Thank you for all of your responses.  We are in the proposal process and one contractor had a more extensive plan for dust abatement than the others.  We know there will be dust so can't imagine how we will be able to sleep there.  It's a small home so DH could sleep in the guest room and me on the sofa (he's too tall for the sofa) but we were hoping to sleep in our own bed.  I know we will be glad when it is finished but not going to like the process.

There will be dust everywhere trust me, I've done this so many times and think the next time will be different and it is not.

I remember a more recent renovation where every morning I stood on my front steps shaking the dust out of my clothes. Why don't you consider moving just your mattress to another room.

Valued Contributor

@Bhvbum wrote:

There will be dust everywhere trust me, I've done this so many times and think the next time will be different and it is not.

I remember a more recent renovation where every morning I stood on my front steps shaking the dust out of my clothes. Why don't you consider moving just your mattress to another room.

That is certainly something to consider.  While our bedroom is a nice size the secondary bedrooms are not.  The only place it might fit would be the living room if we move some furniture.  The living room is open to the kitchen/family room and the front door is in one corner of it.  We don't really have a proper entry.  We might stay in a hotel for the night after demo day!

Honored Contributor

I don't know about your house, but I would hang sheets over every doorway.

Honored Contributor

During every remodel whether chopping up tile floors to renovating kitchens & bath I "stressed" the same ...dust🤦‍♀️

I was shocked at how well my contractor sealed areas with plastic sheath and sealed the areas.  Of course, that didn't stop all the dust especially from jackhammering, taking out walls and pulling up carpeting,etc.

My contractor is extremely neat -- they clean up great before they leave for the day.

After my last big project, I hired 3 person cleaning crew at a very reasonable price they cleaned the whole house after my project was complete.  I have them whenever I do a "dusty" renovation...thank goodness I put my master on hold due to spouse illness (last thing he needs is to be breathing dust like this).

I think most contractors are aware you will be using your bedroom and will hopefully take this into consideration.

Congrats on your new bathroom🙂

Trusted Contributor

@Wobin  You shouldn't have to buy runners for them. A sk your contractor if they'll be protecting your floors by taping down special heavy duty paper/plastic/ cardboard (about 3 feet wide) to all floors they'll be walking on daily in your home.

Respected Contributor

if you have central heating/cooling be sure to change your air filters. we changed out once a month, when remodel was done. Some people do an air duct cleaning, after the construction, is done.

Valued Contributor

I turned off the main a/c system & covered the main vent/filter w plastic & tape. I also close & sealed all doors around all 4 sides w painters tape. That way dust didn't get in the rooms or my a/c system! If I needed to get in a room overnight I just untaped it & taped shut again the next morning. I also seal off between floors ( for those without a door) if open hallway with plastic & tape. Again I'm not taking chances!

I learned my lesson once after having that super fine dust get in EVERYTHING in 2 rooms a few years ago. Never again!