Valued Contributor

Dust abatement during bathroom remodel

For those of you who have been through a Master bathroom remodel, how did you or the contractor handle dust abatement so you could sleep in your adjoining bedroom each night?  

Respected Contributor

Re: Dust abatement during bathroom remodel

@Wobin 

My contractor would clean when finished for the day, didn't have any trouble sleeping in my connected bedroom.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Wobin   This wasn't for a bathroom remodel but we had to have the slab in our living room taken out with jackhammers...all the concrete taken out in chunks by hand through  the living room window that DH and I took out...dirt...gravel..rebar brought in thru the window then new concrete poured with a pumper truck...yep..through the window...

The old slab that the previous owner put in had no rebar so in our expansive clay soil..it heaved and cracked badly...

Anyway to answer your question...we used heavy mill plastic sheets from Home Depot as curtains in the doorways...covered all furniture in adjoining rooms with the plastic sheets too...taped the plastic around the doorways..

If you can cover your master furniture and bed with the plastic sheets and sleep in another bedroom...the dust can get everywhere...

I guess it depends how extensive the remodel is...

Hope this helps..DW

Valued Contributor

Tac up a piece of plastic to very top of door frame to hang down over door opening.  It wouldn't restrict movement through door but would stop most of the dust flow. Probably a roll of plastic would be easier to cut and work with.

Honored Contributor

Good grief........my contractor opened all the doors and windows, and put industrial exhaust fans in them.     It was WINTER.    It was also the worst mess I ever saw.........

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Trusted Contributor

@WobinAn extensive bath remodel, tearing out old drywall, plaster, tile, grout is a huge mess.  Real plaster walls are the worst.  The contractor needs to clean up every day and mitigate the dust problem with heavy plastic sheeting.  I don't know how you're sleeping in that room, the contractor should have suggested otherwise. I'm sorry to say this but you'll have dust settling for weeks throughout the house after they're finished.

Valued Contributor

Thank you for all of your responses.  We are in the proposal process and one contractor had a more extensive plan for dust abatement than the others.  We know there will be dust so can't imagine how we will be able to sleep there.  It's a small home so DH could sleep in the guest room and me on the sofa (he's too tall for the sofa) but we were hoping to sleep in our own bed.  I know we will be glad when it is finished but not going to like the process.

Valued Contributor

@dancingwoman wrote:

@Wobin   This wasn't for a bathroom remodel but we had to have the slab in our living room taken out with jackhammers...all the concrete taken out in chunks by hand through  the living room window that DH and I took out...dirt...gravel..rebar brought in thru the window then new concrete poured with a pumper truck...yep..through the window...

The old slab that the previous owner put in had no rebar so in our expansive clay soil..it heaved and cracked badly...

Anyway to answer your question...we used heavy mill plastic sheets from Home Depot as curtains in the doorways...covered all furniture in adjoining rooms with the plastic sheets too...taped the plastic around the doorways..

If you can cover your master furniture and bed with the plastic sheets and sleep in another bedroom...the dust can get everywhere...

I guess it depends how extensive the remodel is...

Hope this helps..DW

Oh my, I can't imagine what you went through.  Thanks for sharing your advice.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@decaf wrote:

@WobinAn extensive bath remodel, tearing out old drywall, plaster, tile, grout is a huge mess.  Real plaster walls are the worst.  The contractor needs to clean up every day and mitigate the dust problem with heavy plastic sheeting.  I don't know how you're sleeping in that room, the contractor should have suggested otherwise. I'm sorry to say this but you'll have dust settling for weeks throughout the house after they're finished.

I was afraid of the dust for weeks.  We don't have plaster walls but they will be tearing out the old tub and shower and installing a new larger shower and a smaller window. 

Once they tear it all out and install the window do you think that the worst of the dust?  

Trusted Contributor

@Wobin wrote:

@decaf wrote:

I was afraid of the dust for weeks.  We don't have plaster walls but they will be tearing out the old tub and shower and installing a new larger shower and a smaller window. 

Once they tear it all out and install the window do you think that the worst of the dust?  

@Wobin  If they're installing a smaller window, they'll have to do drywall work when done. They may also have drywall work around a new vanity or light fixture, unless it's the exact size or larger than the old one. Drywall work is very dusty. 

After the demo and the drywall repairs the dust will be less but unfortunately this is a very dusty and dirty remodel.  .

Our contractor's crew completely scratched up our hardwood  floors in the master BR and living room getting the debris out.  Your contractor needs to completely cover any paths they'll walk on to get debris from bathrm to outside  the home.. 

Please don't try to sleep in that BR.