Honored Contributor

Dumb question about fabric softener

For 10 years I've had a machine that has a cup for fabric softener.  So I use it all the time, but I got to wondering if fabric softener affects the absorbability of cotton towels.  Instead of using a paper towel like normal to wipe up a water spill, I grabbed a cotton dish towel.  It did nothing.  Maybe the fibers get sealed in cotton like they do microfiber? 

Honored Contributor

Re: Dumb question about fabric softener

[ Edited ]

Yes ... fabric softener "coats" the fabric with a substance that makes it feel softer.

It also can ruin some synthetics by leaving what looks like oily spots that are impossible to remove.  I stopped using fabric softener about 30 years ago.  I add a bit of Arm and Hammer Washing Soda with the liquid detergent.  It softens w/o coating the fabric.

Frequent Contributor

I think they say you shouldn't use fabric softener on towels . I don't seems it supposed to make less absorbent.I don't use fabric softener much but we have a water softener.

Honored Contributor

@depglass  You are never supposed to use fabric softener with towels.  It blocks the absorbency.  You aren't supposed to use it with microfiber cloths either.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

I hate fabric softners, i use vinegar in the rinse cycle.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

I use Tide with Downey in it already, and it leaves the towels nice and absorbent.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

I never use fabric softner, I am allergic to the smell, I can not stand the smell on towels at all

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

Fabric softener doesn’t actually soften fabric.  It coats the fabric with an oily substance that makes it feel smooth and slick.

There are a lot of bad chemicals in it. I no longer use it.

Super Contributor

I stopped using fabric softener in the mid 70s when I started breaking out (or getting hives, I forget which) everywhere I had clothes on. Only bottle I ever bought. I don't think they make the brand anymore, but I've never wanted to try another.

Respected Contributor

No fabric softener. Use those wooly balls, throw them in the dryer. So far, I'm pretty happy with them.