Honored Contributor

@MyShadowLove we were more than irritated at the charge of $700.00 for a showerhead on a 'slide'.  

It was removable for either rinsing the body or cleaning the inside of the shower.  The other shower head would have been fixed on the wall.

We opted not to go with the contractor, he wanted roughly $9,000 for each bathroom!!  NOT a gut job just taking out the old shower in one bathroom and taking out the shower and tub in another bathroom, new drains and hardware.

I am currently waiting on a second bid.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Dual Shower Head Units

[ Edited ]

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@MyShadowLove we were more than irritated at the charge of $700.00 for a showerhead on a 'slide'.  

It was removable for either rinsing the body or cleaning the inside of the shower.  The other shower head would have been fixed on the wall.

We opted not to go with the contractor, he wanted roughly $9,000 for each bathroom!!  NOT a gut job just taking out the old shower in one bathroom and taking out the shower and tub in another bathroom, new drains and hardware.

I am currently waiting on a second bid.

@Mom2Dogs ...Wow....$700 to replace the shower head and how much of that included the shower head that you wanted?...Was he going to be replacing the shower head piping that goes into the wall also?...All that has to be done with ours is to undo the old shower head and place the new shower head onto the existing piping...Our Plumber will be ordering the shower head that we decide on from his supplier, so he will just take care of it when he comes to finish off other work that we are having done....no extra charge to do it since it will only take a few minutes.

As far as the rest of the work that you are having done, I have no idea what the cost is to replace two showers and a tub, but it definitely involves a very labor intensive job to remove the old and then the cost of replacement and new drains and hardware...So it is good that you are getting another bid and even a third bid wouldn't hurt....It will be interesting to see the price differentials.

Good Luck!...I hope it all works out well for you.

~~Formerly known as "WildFlowers"~~
Honored Contributor

@MyShadowLove the contratctor did not break down the bid, so we were in the dark about what each 'thing' cost.  The only reason I knew the charge for the extra shower head was because it was an 'extra' to the bid.

That was another thing I did not like about the bid, we really only knew the whole cost, not what it cost to do each different thing that needed to be done.  I did not know what he was charging for the hardware.... I asked what the allowance was for the hardware, didn't get an answer.  He showed us photos of what he picked out but I did not know the price.

Generally when we have had bids it was broken down so we knew the cost of each process.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mom2Dogs ... Well, I definitely wouldn't go with a contractor that doesn't take the time to give me a breakdown of all that will be involved and the costs....That isn't very professional at all.

Whenever I have major work to be done, I go by referrals and references from neighbors and friends and also check out reviews...Our Plumbing Contractor is a family-run business and is well known in the area and highly reputable.

How did you hear about that particular contractor?..Let me know how you do with the other contractor and bid if you would like...I would be interested in knowing how everything works out for you.

I'm sure all will end up well and your bathrooms will be lovely and you can look forward to soaking in a comforting bubble bath while sipping on a soothing glass of red wine! Woman Happy

Honored Contributor

@MyShadowLove ....the contractor was from a kitchen and bath shop and they are also home builders, (local business).  A few years ago they did work in our kitchen, and did great work, that is why we went to them for the bid on the bathrooms. 

Since they are home builders they 'think' that all homeowners want a high end product, and who doesn't, but our home is older, well built in 1972...it's in a medium priced income area, not uber high end.  Putting $9,000 in to each bath room (new bathing area only +hardware) was just ridiculous, in our opinion, we would never recoup that money, no matter how many times he said it would sell the house....I know my area.

I think the contractor knows he lost our business as he called and said he found a couple of ways to reduce the price, I never called him back.  The other bid is coming but with all the rain we have had he is behind schedule on his work...we would not move forward with the project until this fall anyway.

I hope your project goes well, it's exciting to have work done in the house (well once it's done, it's fun!).  Does your contractor have you pick out the hardware...give you a budget and you do the shopping or does he purchase for you?

Esteemed Contributor

@Mom2Dogs ....The work that we are having done is totally minor compared to the major renovations that you have planned...We just needed the plumbing contractor to check out a couple of issues we were having in both of our bathrooms, as well as our laundry room....We then asked him what brand of shower heads he would recommend and he gave us the name of the supplier that they go through...We will pick out what shower heads we want and the plumber will get them for us at a discount price...When he comes out to install some new piping that is needed, he will then just replace the shower heads for us.

Then, we will arrange to have our painting contractor come out to repaint both of our bathrooms and laundry room....The last job will be a new floor in just one of our bathrooms.

That's it for our renovations...a walk in the park compared to what your renovations will entail.

Yes, it's always a good feeling to freshen things up and it doesn't take much to get me excited about something either!...lol Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@MyShadowLove I was excited when I added an old window frame to the back of our pergola  as well as the lights we strung aross the top of the pergola!

Today I am heading to Hobby Lobby for a wreath for the window frame...I am a pretty simple person, as you can see it does not take a lot to excite me!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mom2Dogs wrote:

@MyShadowLove I was excited when I added an old window frame to the back of our pergola  as well as the lights we strung aross the top of the pergola!

Today I am heading to Hobby Lobby for a wreath for the window frame...I am a pretty simple person, as you can see it does not take a lot to excite me!

@Mom2Dogs ...LOL..I  love it!...You sound so much like me!...I told my husband that he is lucky to have married such a simple woman who is so very easy to please...I mean, here I am posting about new shower heads and what brand to get...Wait until they are installed!...I will jump in the shower right away celebrating and enjoying my new spa experience!...lol

We planted some new shrubs this past Spring and then I added my usual Summer array of flowers...I picked up an adorable and colorful butterfly chime display to hang in our backyard area!..It was all I could do to compose myself on how pretty everything looked!...lol

It's a beautiful day and we are heading down to the shore area in a couple of hours and will be eating at a favorite restaurant along the water before coming back home!...Yes, I'm so excited!!!!...lol 

It's been fun sharing with you!...Enjoy your trip to Hobby Lobby!...I truly do understand how exciting it all can be! Woman LOL