Super Contributor

Re: Dryer sheets or liquid softener

I never use any kind of dryer sheet or softener. My clothes come out of the dryer soft, and no static electricity. I do not want my clothes coated with the residue. I also have 4 dryer balls in the dryer, and two big beach towels to help speed up the drying time to save money.
Trusted Contributor

Please check your appliance's manual before using dryer sheets. Some newer dryers which utilize sensors to determine dryness levels caution against them as residue can build up on the sensors. For instance, using dyer sheets can void the warranty.

Honored Contributor

On 12/25/2014 sidsmom said:

Neither...don't like the artificial chemical smell or feel.

Agree, I don't either, though I do bleach my whites. I don't, however, use as much as is 'recommended' on the bottle.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

On 12/26/2014 happy housewife said:
On 12/26/2014 Desertdi said:
On 12/26/2014 Bluegrassbaby said:
On 12/25/2014 sidsmom said:

Neither...don't like the artificial chemical smell or feel.

Same here....

I use ""dryer balls""

I used to use these too but now that I live where the dryer is right in the hallway outside my kitchen they are much too noisy. I only use them when I dry something like a comforter or guilt.

The noise amuses Kitty!

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Contributor

On 12/25/2014 Czechers said: I grew up with dryer sheets but switched to liquid years ago and it does soften air dryed clothes. A couple of years ago though I did switch to vinegar in the rinse and dryer balls. My clothes smell clean (no vinegar odor) and towels aren't musty. Most notably though is that after about 3 washes my clothes, sheets, and towels were so soft and fluffy (and towels became super absorbent) with all of the softener residue washed out.

{#emotions_dlg.thumbup} me too, works great!

Honored Contributor

On 12/26/2014 pam4322 said: For those of you that put vinegar in the rinse cycle....how much do you use?? Thanks in advance!!

My washer has a little cup with a "fill to" line that I use for the vinegar. It was because of the advice this last year on here, about vinegar, that I too made that switch. No regrets.

Esteemed Contributor

Didn't someone make the suggestion to use aluminum foil rolled into a ball for the dryer to get rid of static cling?

Respected Contributor

I also use vinegar in the rinse cycle. I just dump some in, probably 1/2 cup or so.

I do keep dryer sheets on hand for occasional use. Sometimes the clothes come out with so much static that I put a dryer sheet in and run for a bit to get the static out. That isn't very often though.

I bleach really gross stuff only on occasion. I use the Clorox ultimate (I think that is the name). It's much gentler on fabrics than regular bleach.

Respected Contributor

On 12/28/2014 colliegirls said:

Didn't someone make the suggestion to use aluminum foil rolled into a ball for the dryer to get rid of static cling?

Yes, someone posted that last year. I did it and it worked. I FORGOT about it by the time winter rolled around again. I only have problems in the winter.

Thanks for bringing it up again!

Respected Contributor

On 12/26/2014 pupwhipped said:

I hang many of my items up to dry and they do get stiff. After they have dried completely, I then put them in the dryer on "air dry" and toss in a dryer sheet. It does help to make them softer. Been doing this forever.

Wanted to add my clothes dryer doesn't seem to mind the dryer sheets.....it's 27 years old and still going strong!