Honored Contributor

Re: Dryer sheets or liquid softener

On 12/26/2014 happy housewife said:
On 12/26/2014 circles said:

Neither.....also don't use any detergent that has it included in it...nor do I ever use bleach of any kind....

OMG _ I only have white sheets, white BR rugs and white towels so i can bleach them every time they are washed. I can only imagine the germs on those. I also bleach napkins and DH's handkerchiefs. I have a very few seasonally colored or embroidered hand towels that don't get bleached but that is all. I can't stand the thought of not bleaching this stuff.

I've never bleached anything in my life. My Mom never used it & I've never used it. Everything looks good & nary a germ to be found. I would never expose my body, living environment and more importantly, my local water system, to that much bleach. To me, using that much bleach is extremely unhealthy. No thank you.

Honored Contributor

I use liquid softener on colors but not on towels, sheets, underwear, bras. I use 1/4 to 1/2 dryer sheet (depends on how large the load is) for colors but never for towels, sheets and underwear. The little bit of dryer sheet prevents static and stiffness, so my jeans won't stand up on their own.

I always keep 2 dryer balls in the dryer too. It shortens the drying time.

Honored Contributor

When I had my old washer and dryer when we first moved in this house the instructions to my machines said that I should only use liquid fabric softener. If I used dryer sheets I would void my warranty. I've only used liquid even with my new front loaders.

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

Those dryer sheets make my physically ill and would probably do worse for the bird. Too too much. Plus, they do damage to your dryer.

I use the Downey unscented for the loads where I use fabric softener. I don't use it with all loads anymore.

Somebody mentioned the fabric softener gumming up the works - What you want to do is to dilute it with warm or hot water in the fabric softener receptacle. That makes a big difference. I actually only use about half as much as it calls for and the rest is water. Most products tell you to use more than you need, I find.

As for vinegar - Somebody mentioned that here once. I assume they meant white vinegar and I tried it, but it totally did not work like fabric softener. I had major static. BUT, white vinegar is good to use just to help sanitize. I will put that in, through the bleach dispenser, in certain loads.

Honored Contributor

On 12/25/2014 twopeas said:

Haven't used liquid in years. I love Purex crystals for most things, but do use dryer sheets for my delicates and things other than towels.

I use purex crystals also or downy unstoppables.
Honored Contributor

I use neither, I keep 4 dryer balls in my dryer at all times, so easy!!!

Esteemed Contributor

I use neither since reading how carcinogenic they are.

Esteemed Contributor

I used both for many years until I read how the liquid fabric softener messes up the washing machine --- and the dryer sheets also affect the dryer. I stopped using both and I can't tell the difference.

Valued Contributor

I add a couple Tblsp white vinegar to my softener reservoir. Works great and doesnt gum up my machine.
Honored Contributor

I don't use either and don't miss them.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...