Honored Contributor

Re: ~~ Dressers and Night Stands ~~

This is a timely topic for me and I can see myself going either way.  I've always thought everything should match.  It's the way my mom decorated our bedrooms and the way furniture companies sell bedroom pieces, except for random dented or retired stock.  I'm currently shopping for a new bedroom set and hate the prices I'm seeing for a complete set (and that doesn't include the box spring and mattress).  This will likely be the last set DH and I ever purchase so I want something I really like and not "good enough".  I've seen assorted cabinets, chests and drawers that I like so I'm starting to wonder about the eclectic look myself.  Some refinished pieces done in the subdued chalk colors interest me, but then I end up talking myself out of it because I know I'll eventually change my mind and probably want to go back to matchy matchy.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't have everything matched either in our Master bedroom.  I have a beautiful leather headboard, two round tables with small drawers for night tables, a half moon vanity and seat with a large detached mirror a leather recliner and a separate dresser.  I prefer ovals and circles to angle corners.  I think it is a softer look and it's easier on the knees!  LM

Honored Contributor

No 'match-matchy'.

My style is what I call "casual-eclectic", so I enjoy different things around me.

Besides, you can always tie your home decor together with accents of your favorite color, or other stuff.

Valued Contributor

I have eclectic all over my home and I buy or paint what I love but............ my bedside tables have to match.

Beckyblu

Honored Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

@Kachina624   OHMIGOSH!    I have my dad's homemade (same era as yours)  SOLID wood tool chest (painted Chinese red) stashed in the garage.   I think I might use it as a window seat when I finally get my spare bedroom "done".............   It's large enough to hold tons of linens/blankets.........di

@Desertdi   I have a wood chest (made to look old) that I use at the foot of the bed for sweaters. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

First, for the bedrooms, I like it when done either way. What is important to me is the style/quality of the furniture. If I find a set that matches and I love it, I think it looks very finished, polished and perfect.

I have a spare room that the dresser, chest, and bed all match, and are hard rock maple. My parents bought the set when they got their first home, and while many may find it dated, I love the room I built around it. The room has tons of light, and it is just beautiful, with a nice tied together look.

My son's room and our master have a combo effect. His room has a matching chest of drawers, night stand, and desk combo, but a coordinating bookcase and bed that are similar style, color and wood, but just enough different to give some visual variation. 

Our master bedroom has a matching chest of drawers and night stand, but the bed is different. There is also a small table in there and a hope chest that aren't matching. I like the looks of that room as well.

When it comes to matchy matchy furniture, the only place I really like it is in a bedroom. I see a lot of bedrooms sets that I think all the pieces are lovely. I don't see that in dining room or living room groupings. I always think it looks overdone or something when all the pieces are from the same line and style. A house tends to look like a model home when everything matches too much.

Honored Contributor

I actually don't like matching. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Respected Contributor

I prefer furniture to be eclectic.  However, my bedroom furniture is "matchy matchy".  The rest of the house, not so much. 

One thing I have to have, is solid wood furniture.  

Respected Contributor

When I was just married, my DH and I furnished our first home with bits and pieces, hand-me-downs and stuff other people wanted to get rid of, to make room for something new. We did buy a complete matchy-matchy bedroom suite and also a dining room suite but my living room was a hodge podge mix of pieces. I figured someday I'd buy a "proper" living room suite, when funds permitted. One day, I had an interior designer come to give me ideas on something else, but she said she LOVED what I had done with my living room and how everything worked together. Who knew? LOL
Respected Contributor

Funny you should ask... I used to be the most matchy matchy woman out there. Not for years now though... I have two extra bedrooms with all oak antiques - yes, the wood color matches - but, every piece is different. In my room, I have a large painted cupboard and a painted low cabinet - painted and aged different colors. Along with two stained bedside cabinets that are stained with a deep brown finish. Those night stands and my two round end tables in my living room are the only things I have ever bought more than one of. Except my 6 dining chairs - and, they do not even match the table either per say - they are a deep brick red leather - but, their legs do match the color of the table. I like things that "go together" nicely, but, not really match.  So - have fun, experiment with things you like and mix them all together, and see what works and what doesn't for you. Maybe , you will like it all to go together and not match or maybe you will think that just looks too busy for you. Nothing is written in stone when it comes to decorating - experiment and see what you like the best. To me - that is where decorating is really fun - make it your own, use what makes you happy!! And, if matchy matchy makes you happy - go for it....

-Texas Hill Country-