Esteemed Contributor

~~ Dressers and Night Stands ~~

How do you feel about bedroom furniture having to match? I have always had a tendency for matchy- matchy and now I'm feeling that that may be boring. I look at magazines and notice that the night stands are often different on each side of the bed and the dressers are sometimes different. I am looking into new furniture for our master and think I may want to go for the eclectic look.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

Re: ~~ Dressers and Night Stands ~~

My preference is matchy matchy.  That said, my bedroom isn't.  If I could go out tomorrow and buy new matchy furniture, I would.  I say do what makes you happy.

Respected Contributor

I like eclectic.  I had matchy-matchy for a long time and got really restless.  Over the years, really only one piece had my heart.  I kept that piece and my dil asked if she could have the other pieces.  Then I purchased items over time that spoke to me.  So, now I have my beautiful natural oak high-low dresser, an iron bed and two different nightstands.  My room now makes me smile.

Honored Contributor

They don't HAVE to match... Your bedroom,  your furniture.   I have matching dresser,  chest of drawers and armoire but the bed is pewter wrought iron and bedside tables are primitive  Mexican,  both different.    I don't like matchy match anything. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

When I first earned my degree, I had a hodge-podge of hand- me- down furniture.  But eventually, I decided to buy my furniture piece by piece according to what I loved.  I also focused on finding quality pieces.  Interestingly, my pieces now go together without matching.  I love the feel of my rooms.  Hodge- podge evolved into a more quality ecletic style that reflects who I am.

Esteemed Contributor

I had a hodge podge too in the master for years. I used my night tables and some were really rickety.

One of my bucket list items was a custom built Amish, matchy, matchy bedroom suite which I finally scraped up the $ for. When they delivered it I sat down on the bed and cried it was so beautiful.

One thing the women here have taught me is live like you mean it and buy only what you love.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

My perfectly matched beautiful dark oak, real wood, bedroom set is 42 yrs old (not 37) and still looks perfect. I couldn't afford to buy it today. If I were to buy a new bedroom set, I'd choose not to match everything to make it more interesting.

Honored Contributor

I've always used the nightstands as living room end tables.   The drawers come in handy.    The bedroom gets randon "things" that I find interesting............

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@Desertdi   I have two chests in my living room at each end of the sofa,  I use for end tables.   One is solid mahogany that my dad made when he was teaching industrial arts,  to be used as a record cabinet (late 1940's). I think bedside tables are a great solution because of the drawers. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

My husband's 2nd career was a carpenter. He made our night stands. He did great work.