Respected Contributor

Drawer-type Microwaves Built-in

Anyone have any experience and opinion about these microwaves that are popular now in kitchen redesigns? Some have drawer slide out. I am needing kitchen redo and like concept. DH noticed that it would be difficult to wipe out since it’s usually lower and harder to see its ceiling. I gave to admit he seems to have a point. Thanks for guidance.
Valued Contributor

Re: Drawer-type Microwaves Built-in

I have NO first hand experience.  I do not think I would like it though personally.  My main use is for reheating my coffee and I can't imagine sliding a cup of liquid in and out in a drawer.  I would also think the controls would be hard to see I wouldn't want to bend over everytime I needed to punch buttons.

Respected Contributor

If it ever needs to be removed for repair would that be a problem?

And the problem I will have....I had my kitchen totally redesigned and had a undermount shelf added for a specific size of a GE Profile microwave which was available for years.  Two years after my remodel, GE discontinued that size even though according to kitchen designers it was their "go to" selection for people who wanted smaller microwaves with the built in look.

When it dies I am going to have a hard time finding a microwave to fit.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

It doesn’t seem practical to me.It may not be tall enough to hold certain items like coffee mugs & casserole dishes.

Esteemed Contributor

I moved into a new home, we built and I got this kind of microwave. I love it. I had such reservations but I love it. My builder said it’s easy to remove and replace. The only thing is sometimes when you heat a bag of veggies or whatever that need to stand not lay it’s a tight fit. But honestly it’s awesome. I don’t worry about removing a hot item above me, I lift it out. It seems safer to me. What ever you decide enjoy your new kitchen when done. ❤️

Esteemed Contributor

This microwave holds mugs 2 quart casserole dishes. Big plates. It’s the same size as big microwaves just a smidge shorter
Honored Contributor

I have one and I love it.

Respected Contributor

When we re-did our kitchen 5 years ago we contemplated different ways to accomodate the microwave (which had always just sat on the counter). Because microwaves don't last forever, and replacing special built-in ones can be expensive, we opted to put it in a niche on the "kitchen" side of the island which separates the kitchen and dining room. The space is big enough to accommodate any size microwave we might buy in the future...and we can just get a microwave off a store shelf when needed.

The rest of the island looks like a very nice cabinet.

Contributor

We did a kitchen remodel last year and I have a Sharp microwave drawer. I had those same concerns and they are more expensive but I have never liked the looks of a microwave. I have the drawer with a flat face and the control panel flips out. I absolutely love it! I am so glad that I have it. I hope whatever you decide to do makes you as happy and satisfied. There are so many decisions to make in a kitchen that we have to live with for a long time that it can be overwhelming. Good luck!

Respected Contributor

I don't have any experience with the drawer type microwaves but when we remodeled our kitchen, we put our microwave on a shelf in the pantry. I wanted the space over our stove to house a designer hood so this left no room for a microwave, which we don't use for cooking anyway....just heating things.  The pantry shelf has worked out great.