Valued Contributor

Re: Drapes that 'puddle' on the floor.....

I would use them, again, not my home, but imagine a huge paneled library with fireplace, books lining the walls, comfy overstuffed chairs, oriental rugs on a polished wood floor, high ceiling and heavy brocade or velvet drapes that puddle on the floor.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

When I lived alone, I had them in my bedroom.  Made them myself from matching sheetsCat LOL  I opened my windows often and all that fabric blowing around was an issue.

At the time, they were lovely.  However, they constantly needed to be repuddled as I had kitties that used to love playing in them.  Not to mention moving them around to clean.

In very limited settings they are nice, but I wouldn't have them again.

Honored Contributor

I don't care for them at all.

In fact, we have no drapes/curtains in our house at all.  We had them in our prior house, but I don't miss them at all.

Why is it, when I have a 50/50 guess at something, I'm always 100% wrong?
Respected Contributor

I think in some homes they look nice.

My drapes, just touch the floor.  Can not imagine having to mess with them every time I vacuumed. With me, they would constantly be sucked up by that thing!  And, my cat would definitely think they were there just  for him to lay on or to hide under. Those perfectly puddled drapes would not look too perfect very long I don't think in this house!! 

-Texas Hill Country-
Honored Contributor

@gidgetgh wrote:

I don't care for them at all.

In fact, we have no drapes/curtains in our house at all.  We had them in our prior house, but I don't miss them at all.

@gidgetgh

I first noticed the 'no drapes/curtains look' in people's homes and in magazines well over a decade ago, and many things I saw were windows with no treatments (shades,blinds shutters etc) at all. 

It looked very odd to me. Cold, bare and so exposed.

The longer I looked at it in different settings, I realized it depended on the windows. If they were really beautiful and unique windows, I got used to (and secretly liked) it in many settings. 

I myself, have reduced the window dressings I use over time. I haven't had anything that resembles a drape since the mid 80's, but had switched to pull back ruffled curtains through the 80's, 90's and into the early 2000's. I loved the look with my decor, but overtime, got tired of ironing and starching all those ruffles. 

I moved to lace curtains with valences and swags on top of them. Heritage Lace makes some beautiful lace curtains. I had very ugly windows in this house until recently and wanted them covered. After window entire house window replacement, I love the new look, and have started placing just swags at most of the windows (again in lace) with a roller shade to pull up and down for privacy. 

I'm moving to less and less material on the windows over time, and liking how much less effort is expended to take down, launder, iron and re hang once each year. 

It is funny over the decades, how much we can like a certain style of something, and think it is the only 'right' thing to do or have, and then as time passes we begin to see value and beauty in things we thought were once 'horrible'!LOL

Honored Contributor

I refuse to have any drapes in my home! I have lovely Silhouette blinds and won't cover them and the lovely views I have outside my windows. Drapes, in my opinion, are old fashioned, make your house look older and are just dust collectors. 

"Pure Michigan"
Honored Contributor

They are out of the question in a household with pets.  They'd just be a big mess. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I think it's primarily a look proffered by interior decorators often for more formal homes where cleaning and maintenance is most likely done by someone other than the owners... It's a pretty and gracious look in the right rooms and in the right houses.

Currently, my window treatments consist of valences and full size blinds. Eventually, I will install curtains or drapes in some rooms and when I do, I'll want them to just touch the floors. I don't care for curtains that only fit the window and I don't care for untreated windows or windows that are too minimally treated, beause no matter the window, they just look too stark to me and I prefer to be able to control light. Had I beautiful windows, I could always leave curtains open when I chose.

My preferred covering would include plantation shutters rather than blinds, but they're too costly and the nature of where I live requires that I have some kind of coverings that are easily opened and closed for privacy.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Esteemed Contributor

I love them. I have them. We have dogs and they do not walk on them.  I think the fabric makes a big difference in these and how they hang. 

Honored Contributor

One of those issues I go back and forth on!  In the end, I wouldn't have them b/c of sanitary reasons and my four cats.  But like others have said, in the right setting, they can intensify a rich, abundant look in a regal room.  They are romantic!

So am I, but in this case, practicality reigns...