Esteemed Contributor

Re: Downsizing, advice welcome

What not to bother with when preparing to downsize:

anything major besides decluttering and deep cleaning on the upper floors. People make their decision on your house based on location, curb appeal and the first floor of the house, including kitchen and all other rooms on this floor. First impressions.

I found Mr. Clean Magic Erasers were easier and lots cheaper than painting walls and trim.

Garage sales. Too time consuming for the payoff. Google Maxsold.

Keep and move "stuff". When in doubt, throw it out (or donate).

Honored Contributor

Fascinating reading everyone's experiences. I'm always amazed "stuff" people collect throughout their lifetime. Reminds me of "George Carlin" his routine on "Stuff" hilarious and on point. YouTube has the video. Back to my experience never lived with over abundance, made it easy moving. 

Respected Contributor

@queendiva wrote:

@Snowpuppy : true about the HOA., but that's on the buying end, not selling.

Fortunate that this was my first time ever living in a condo community and their rules are very reasonable, enforcement is on an As Needed basis and they have returned from the brink to financially secure, all with reasonable monthly fees.

@queendiva   Excellent advice regarding their financial security. You should be able to get a copy of that from them with no problem. 

Esteemed Contributor

We did it three years ago. I told my DH if we haven’t used it or touched it in over a year it’s gone. I couldn’t believe what we donated and threw out! 

We moved to a condo community and I like it. Some units do not have basements, we got one with because of DH work benches. I got rid of all Christmas stuff haven’t put a tree up in three years. How liberating that was!  Just a wreath on the door. 

The advice I would give is make sure your common wall isn’t up against bedroom. That was a deal breaker for me. We share a dining room wall. 

I hope your neighbor takes care of the unit next to you because that could be a problem also. We are lucky we have a neighbor who does. We didn’t get in a community where they do it for you. No covenants. 

I miss my stand alone home though. I feel I do not have 100 % privacy here. 

My DH loves it. Good luck in your decision and purging. 

Esteemed Contributor

@godi : there are always sacrifices to be made, aren't there?

I'm in an end unit with a first floor master. Next door family's kitchen shares my BR wall, so that works. Their bedrooms are all on the second floor, which is my guest suite.

The wife is constantly cleaning. Grateful for a clean neighbor in a condo and having only one shared wall. No one above, below or to the other side.

I don't miss my single family homes and the work and $$$ involved, but I always had beautiful, quiet yards. Miss that!

Respected Contributor

my advice -- get your kids to clean out--mine was ruthless -- i went upstairs and while I was gone he had already filled 3 bags for disposal -- no going back including my fry boots bought 50 years ago and only worn by me thru the 70's.

Honored Contributor

Because we love where we live,in 2000 we did an addition. Many changes and a laundry room off the bedroom. Bedroom is on the main floor, 2 bathrooms,large doorways to allow wheel chairs, bathrooms w/ much lower threshold for showers, handicap style commodes.

Stuff like that. Moved in the addition in May,2001. Have not regretted it. 

Esteemed Contributor

Wow, that is some great advice.  We too just downsized to a condo in January.  I agree, it was brutal moving, donating, cleaning  and painting......exhasuting.  However on the upside it is worth every minute of soreness in the back and shoulders.  There is a good feeling in getting rid of the stuff you never use, just streamlining and all that.  We bought a condo that is an end unit with a double garage and full basement.  The back of it borders a state park so it's abundant with trees and wildlife, which is what we're used to.  We lived in a 3300 sq ft home and now are in a 2000 sq ft condo.  I have to say I am loving it!!!  So nice not to have to do yard work and shovel anymore.   My advice, do it while you can and are able.  It won't get any easier with age so I am happy to have it behind me. I also would never leave that overwhleming burden to my kids if anything happened to us. Just saying.

Esteemed Contributor

Forgot to add to the many who are considering downsizing from the house lived in for decades: console yourself that you may well be sitting on a pile of money that is your house. If it has not been updated but is structurally sound, price it to sell. If you are in a desirable neighborhood and/ or school district your well priced home will sell. Instead of spending thousands on kitchen and bath updates put that money into moving out and doing your new place for you, not for an unknown potential buyer.

My rooms were all previously updated and fairly neutral decor and my neighboorhood was very desirable and stabile with infrequent availability of homes, so that made for quick sales for both myself and a nearby neighbor last May and June. The only two homes that were for sale all year, and one right after the other. That theirs listed and sold for top dollar helped me, for sure.

Clean, uncluttered, great on-line photos, and right price will sell your house.

Homes that need new roofs, HVACs, windows, etc. sell every day if priced realistically for the present market. In addition, spring continues to be the best time to sell with the most serious buyers looking.

Best of Luck to all you sellers. Go for it!

Esteemed Contributor

@LindaSal : Everything you said! No pain, no gain in moving. Enjoy your new home and your new life!