Respected Contributor

Re: Downsizing, advice welcome

I am wanting to do the same thing. My home is alomost 3,000 square feet and every room is upstairs except the LR. I'm at the point and getting at the age where i am tired of climbing steps. So I would like a one level home with a smaller foot print.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Goodie2shoes , my advice is to start early.

i lived in my last house 26 years.  We sold our cottage and moved a lot of that back to our house so we had a big job.  

If I could have done it, I think I would have gotten a pod.

Our house sold in three days.  We went to a condo before our new house was ready.  We built our retirement home, a walkout bungalow.  We built a bigger house.  We can live on the main floor if we want.  All of our doors are wheelchair accessible and there are only two steps into the house.  I love this home and we will stay here for the rest of our lives.  We are fortunate indeed!  

Good luck!  LM

Respected Contributor

@JYWilliams 

We had friends when we lived in England who were in their 60's but wanted to move from their two story house.  They were both in good health and their PCP told them that was a big mistake.   He said he had many patients who were in good health and moved to a one story house and just didn't the daily movement/exercise that they did in the two story and started having health problem.  Just FYI.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Harvard99 

NO I'm crazy but not that crazy!  My home was built in 1999 and sold it in 2006.  Nothing in that house was in need of repair -- the realtor (who I disliked) was out of his mind!

My spouse favorite saying to him was:" let the new owners do it!".

Respected Contributor

Thanks to everyone for the good advice, read every post and took some notes. This will be a process as I have a lot of work to do. 

Trusted Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

@Harvard99 

NO I'm crazy but not that crazy!  My home was built in 1999 and sold it in 2006.  Nothing in that house was in need of repair -- the realtor (who I disliked) was out of his mind!

My spouse favorite saying to him was:" let the new owners do it!".

Oh, thank goodness.  From your post we could have had the same realtor!  And i ended up disliking her immensely also. We only pressure cleaned our driveway., She wanted carpet replaced, new vanities and lighting, install the last 7 windows they weren't new etc!  And then they complain that they don't make any money. You almost end end feeling like you work for them!  Lol

Trusted Contributor

@homedecor1   Your DH is absolutely right, "leave a little bit for them to do"

Esteemed Contributor

I did 3 years ago. I redid the guest bathroom, painted the inside and outside of the house. Sold on first showing and built a much smaller home and while it took me awhile to get used to the smaller house, I now love it.