Highlighted
Respected Contributor

Just tired of having to go up and down steps to do the Laundry, wanting everything to be on one level.  Need to do some minor repairs then put my home on the market and would like to find a condo.  If you have been thru this process, how did it go ?  Did your home sell quickly ?  did you have to do any updates to your home first and did you find that perfect place to move into?    Trying to make this process as smooth as possible and as quick as possible.   Thanks 

Valued Contributor

Re: Downsizing, advice welcome

I am wanting to do the same.  I talked with a realtor who recommended doing updates before putting my house on the market.  Hate spending the money but she she said it is pretty much expected in the neighborhood that I live in.  My problem is getting rid of stuff.

Respected Contributor

DKay  wrote:

I am wanting to do the same.  I talked with a realtor who recommended doing updates before putting my house on the market.  Hate spending the money but she she said it is pretty much expected in the neighborhood that I live in.  My problem is getting rid of stuff.

getting rid of stuff is also a problem of mine. 22 years of "stuff !"
I've had a knee replacement, now bone on bone on the other knee and my doc wants to proceed with replacement but I want to relocate first. Good luck on your downsizing.
Respected Contributor

I'm trying to do the same thing.  Not downsizing, but merging two households.  Don't know where to start in getting rid of things and getting my house ready to sell.  And, I wanted to have it sold by now!

Honored Contributor

@Goodie2shoes 

We "downsized" from a 4 bedroom 2-story, full 2.5 garage & full basement to relocate to spouse dream house in FL.  Selling and downsizing to me was a terrible overwhelming experience😕.  I had a inventory book of everything I wanted to take / sell.

what a job that was emptying 35 years of "stuff".  At first, I wanted to take my beautiful furniture but after got the estimate to move this "stuff" forget it!  I had a house sale and it barely killed me to sell aka "giveaway" beautiful Thomasville, Herendon & more.  I

really was upset but knew for the moving costs I could buy new furniture.

As for my holiday decorations, household things, etc.  I had to do a yard sale.  We basically just emptied our closets & took very little.  When it was all said & done we moved using a POD 8x8 which I packed and was stored then delivered when we found a place to live.

Selling our house:

I found selling my home was the most frustrating experience.  the "lookers" were ridiculous -- I swear they found a million things wrong why they didn't buy it.  Think they watched to much HGTV😉

Then, the realtor thought we needed to "update" things -- most of it was ridiculous too.  Some of the things were: update kitchen by installing white cabinets (I had oak), install quartz counters (I had Corian)buy new SS appliances, restain hardwood floors to darker color, put in new rugs in bedrooms, etc. -- Are they crazy?  The realtor said if you invest $10-15,000 you'll get it back in the sale🙄.  

The house sold in a few months at asking price.  The realtor really didn't do much but give us "feedback".  The other thing was realtor appointments -- all different times &  we need to leave while realtor showed home and worse -- some never showed up😤.  Plus, heaven forbid something is out of order -- I'm neat but had to be 100% clean & neat everyday because we had "lock box".

Fast forward, we now live in a 2 bedroom villa 1979 sq ft) and boy, storage is certainly a issue.  I have to be "creative" in having excess -- although it's open living space is great it lacks closet space m.  We only have attic and garage.  (Believe me didn't take me long to fill it up!).

Every month I'm purging something.  Worse thing ever, I still have unpacked boxes in my attic from stuff I brought & never used😯.

My home is now after 5 years starting to come together.  It's been a remodeling labor of love.  I am currently looking to buy  a home vs villa -- he is against it but I want a big eat-in kitchen/family room.

Good luck 

Trusted Contributor

@homedecor1   We're thinking about selling.  I'm curious, did you actually put in a new kitchen and all else to sell?  Good grief!

Esteemed Contributor

I was just about getting underway with downsizing at this time last year.

So much to consider; I will try to keep this as short as possible.

Do it ASAP. The process will not get easier as you get older. Needed to sell my 4 BR, 2 1/2 bath house w/ small-ish basement and 2 car garage. Lived there for 12 years. Moved stuff from the previous home of 10 years with still unpacked boxes. That was not going to happen on this move. First: packed up out of season clothes and non-essentials. Next: called in junk haulers to remove a few large furniture pieces, including an old sofa, desk and armoire, all of which made their respective rooms look too small. Junkers moved all of the packed boxes from around the house to the now cleaner garage. Hired some of the workers for a later date to move the boxes into a rented POD after the house was under contract. Hired a handyman to do some small repairs and did a minimal amount of painting. No such thing as too much cleaning- including windows and power washing of outside areas. 

The inventory of houses in my area was low so I felt that I did not have to spend thousands. Important: I interviewed 4 listing agents. Hired the agent I used to sell my previous house successfully. * Do not skimp on this process! Agents are going to charge the same, more or less, so hire the person with the best plan and most units sold during the previous year. Someone telling you to spend big before listing may want you to do their work for them. * Important: look at your agent's on-line listing photos before hiring. Online listings are Everything! They should be paying a professional photographer. You take pics on your phone before the photog comes so you can see what buyers will see. 

*Declutter, declutter and declutter MORE! Don't interview agents until you are ready to list. Do the work first. It will take longer than you think. Call junk haulers as needed, often more than once. A necessary expense.

Bottom line: my house sold in a day for over list. Two family members are still on the market many months later. Price your house right and declutter. Family members did not do that. Moving was my full-time job 7 days a week.

Downsizing means getting rid of a LOT of stuff. Moving it costs too much. I recommend Maxsold for that.

Downsizing was exhausting and stressfull. Not going to lie about that. I bought a 2 BR 2 1/2 bath villa (end unit) w/full, unfinished basement and 2 car garage, so plenty of storage. I shopped after my house was sold. Did much work on this end, but happy with the end result. From beginning (deciding to sell) to end (last reno project in the new place) the timeline was almost a year for me, and that was fast, having sold my house in a day.

First things for your downsizing To Do list: junk hauler, good handyman, cleaning help (inside and outdoors) painter if needed. These people need to be hired ASAP. Possibly landscaper as well. I had fresh mulch applied at the front of the house.

The time when most buyers are active is March 1-June 1. I listed second week in June and got lucky. You may decide to list next year if your To Do list is too long. Regardless, the time to start on downsizing is Yesterday. Good Luck!

Also, I am a firm believer in prayer to St. Joseph and burying a statue of the saint. You can google that for more info.

Respected Contributor

We will be downsizing by Fall hopefully. We won’t be doing much to the house. Cleaning out is overwhelming. The house is way to big for us. I have been cleaning out for months. Getting my DH to throw away things has been difficult to say the least. Many excuses. When I start to throw his things away he joins me fast. I now realize he doesn’t like to part with anything. We have a ways to go.

Esteemed Contributor

Just a word on condos since I've had 2.

Get the rules/bylaws in writing before a contract. This will spell out all requirements. One condo didn't allow any overnite parking in your own drive. Some rules are ridiculous. Also find out how financially stable the HOA is. Many are not.

I'm considering right sizing as well in this next year.

Good luck to you!.

Esteemed Contributor

@Snowpuppy : true about the HOA., but that's on the buying end, not selling.

Fortunate that this was my first time ever living in a condo community and their rules are very reasonable, enforcement is on an As Needed basis and they have returned from the brink to financially secure, all with reasonable monthly fees.