Honored Contributor

I was getting antsy about doing something different to my apartment.  Nothing drastic - I felt it needed something to jazz it up a bit.  This morning  had what I consider a brilliant idea - an inexpensive addition that's virtually no work, but a lot of "jazz."

------------------------------------

The house I grew up in had draperies between the wide doorway between the dining room and the living room (old house built around 1915 or so).  I always loved how that looked.  The draperies were like an antique rose heavy damask fabric.  

-------------------------------------- 

I decided to add curtains to the doorways.

I googled "doorway curtains" for some ideas and decided to use the same length on the doorways as I have on my living room and bedroom windows (63").   

The two doorways are between the kitchen and dining area (there's currently a bamboo curtain there), and between the living room and the hall that leads to bathroom and bedroom.  (The dining area, "library" and living room are one big L shaped open area.)

I had some spare sheers (dark gray) that match the living room windows - so I went down to Ace Hardware and got a tension rod and hung them in the living room/hall doorway.  (No, I'm not taking a picture of my personal space.)   I went outside and came back in to get the full effect of the hallway curtains ... I'm loving it.  

I ordered some more sheers for the kitchen/dining doorway ... lighter shade of gray.  They'll be here on Friday.  Carpet in dining are is gray/black/white zebra/flagstone design with black border.  

Respected Contributor

Portieres aren’t my style because I like open spaces with long sight lines, but I do see doorway-framing curtains turning up in magazine photos occasionally. Apparently, the look is making a comeback, and you’re on trend!

Honored Contributor

I've been decorating doorways for the past 50 years.    I have also draped fringed cord tie-backs over mirrors........and hung faceted bead necklaces in windows...............

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

glad you discovered something to 'jazz' your apartment up a little.  gives you a lift, doesn't it?

the house i grew up in also had a wide doorway leading off of the entry and into the living room.  this was upstate NY and it was COLD in that front entry way!  anyway, i remember heavy rose colored velvet draperies hanging off of brass rings in that doorway.  mom would put them up in the early fall and take them down in the spring.  good memories. 

enjoy your new discovery.

Super Contributor

That would not be something that I would like in my home (1924 Craftsman Bungalow), but I am a firm believer in your home is your sanctuary and make it what brings you happiness. Go for it. If you decide you don't like it anymore take it down and try something else. Enjoy it in good health.

Honored Contributor

Re: Doorway Curtains

[ Edited ]

I live alone..   Years ago I took off the door to my master bathroom and use drapes.

Drapes are quiet.  If you don't need the privacy of a door that closes, I recommend finding an alternative.    There are many options.

I have a small laundry room, that door came off too.    I don't use that room every day but the doorway is in an obvious location in my home, the drapes are perfect.   Almost looks like it could be a door or window, until you look & see it's a laundry room.

I wanted to add, I think people are getting burned out on barn doors.

Honored Contributor

This is not my house but I do have French doors in my dining room.

I open the drapes every morning & close them at night.

I dealt with mini blinds on the doors, curtains on the door and this is much better for me.

best-sliding-glass-doors-door-coverings-options-covering-ideas-marvelous-drapes-repair-miami-fl.jpg

Honored Contributor

@ALRATIBA . Good for you. I am glad you found something to jazz up your place, and inexpensive is always good! Enjoy!

Honored Contributor

I don't have long curtains anywhere in my house.  I do have lace cutains (window length) to cover windows in living and dining room and I like them.  Ivory in color with a scallped edge.

I do put a curtain between my kitchen and dining room in the summer when the air conditioning is on and I keep the other door closed.  This helps to keep the family room cooler when it is wicked hot.

Oh, I dream of central air but it will never happen in this house.  We are on a slab and putting in duct work would be to costly.  We did check into the zone cooling way to expensive.

Honored Contributor

@fancy pantsy we live in a Cape Cod, the floor is not finished so it does get cold.  I use an old tapestry on a tension rod with cafe rings do what your mom did at the bottom of the stairs to keep the cold from coming down stairs.