Honored Contributor

Don't you just hate it when.........

you know exactly what you want to buy, but you can't find it?

In the spirit of spring cleaning, I took down the curtains on the main level of my house this morning. They are old, and worn out and have gotten to the point where, as my mother would say, 'look like rags hanging in the window'!!

I had spent some time the last two years looking online and in stores for replacements but just no luck. To keep it short, I will just say that the windows are very odd (and large) sizes, and almost nothing ready made will work.

Well, I hit the computer, and four hours later, I managed to place an order to have (FINALLY) all matching curtains on my main level. The old ones were different in each room, bought second hand, and used (washed, starched, ironed, and rehung) for 20 years. I can't tell you how ecstatic I am right now.

I found only three choices, picked the one I liked best (although not the brand or pattern I really want to have but can't get those in my needed sizes) and will be on pins and needles till they arrive, hoping that they actually do work. I wanted lace curtains, and these are just that.

I know I could have some custom made, but that just isn't in the picture right now. It is just so frustrating to look and look for something, knowing exactly what you want, but it just isn't available. 

I'm now a day behind on the cleaning, but hopefully it will be worth it when the new curtains arrive!

Oh, I found them at JC Penney, all on sale for 50% off, and free shipping with another 15% off, so pretty good deal!

Honored Contributor

Re: Don't you just hate it when.........

@Texasmouse

I have you to thank for the motivation. Between taking those old curtains down one more year, and reading your thread on drapes or blinds? I just couldn't wait any longer.

Honored Contributor

DH and I are retiling our shower walls in our bathroom.  I knew what I wanted but couldn't adequately describe to the designer at the company we are using, what I wanted.  I just kept telling her I would know when I saw it.

She kept showing us tiles and they were pretty but not "it."  Finally she pulled a board of tiles and as soon as she pulled them I yelled "Yes.  That's it."  LOL  

Respected Contributor

Congratulations ! Your lace curtains sound perfect. I have had good luck with JCPenney when it comes to window coverings and bedding ensembles.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mominohio, isn't that wonderful!  Now you will be able to usher in Spring with a completely new look on your windows!  I hope they are exactly what you want.

I am deep into Spring cleaning and have just replaced faux wood blinds with beautiful Shadeomatic roller blinds in my den.  They look great!  LM

Honored Contributor

Dear @Mominohio

I think I know how you feel.  I, too, was ecstatic when I could finally afford to remove the drapes that were (also) 20 years old and in this house when I moved in.  Now I have shutters (but that's neither here nor there).

In any event, I do hope they are exactly what you expect once you open those packages.  And don't forget to post a picture or two!

Keeping fingers crossed and hopes high for you!

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

@Mominohio  I wish I lived close to you as we would have so much fun figuring out what we want and how we are going to pay for it. I have ideas but not enough money to do what I'd like to.  lol

Your curtains sound pretty and hoping that they are just what you are wanting.  I love my house when windows and curtains are all clean.   Do post back and tell us how much you love the new curtains.

Respected Contributor

I am in search for the perfect "black-out" curtains.  @Mominohio, you summed up my frustrations to a "T"!  I have to be careful to not settle for less than what I am looking for & then end up not happy with my choice.  I don't know how much more patient I can be, lol.  

If if anyone has a great recommendation for black-out curtains, I would appreciate any suggestions.  I cannot have even the tiniest of any light in my bedroom.  I have had to put black electrical tape over my directv box  & TV button, I am that bad.  TIA!  

Honored Contributor

@BornToShop wrote:

If if anyone has a great recommendation for black-out curtains, I would appreciate any suggestions.  I cannot have even the tiniest of any light in my bedroom.  I have had to put black electrical tape over my directv box  & TV button, I am that bad.  TIA!  

@BornToShop

Have you checked out blackout/thermal curtains on touchofclass.com?

There are a lot of "five star" choices.

Honored Contributor

@BornToShop wrote:

I am in search for the perfect "black-out" curtains.  @Mominohio, you summed up my frustrations to a "T"!  I have to be careful to not settle for less than what I am looking for & then end up not happy with my choice.  I don't know how much more patient I can be, lol.  

@BornToShop

I'm afraid I will be no help with referrals, but can totally understand your quest. Sometimes there are things we just need to be a certain way, or we know exactly what we want, and it is frustrating to have to settle. 

I did settle, to some extent, because it was that or have my complete first floor exposed with huge windows and sliding door uncovered, for all the world to see in!

What I'm getting appears, will be way better than what I have, so stepping up, even if not getting exactly what I want!

Best of luck on the search.