Regular Contributor

People love wood floors but plop a big area rug on them. Just moved into a new home with wood floors and really don t want to put a big rug down.

But then again I have a York's that thinks that a rug is a pee pee pad, lol!

Honored Contributor

@ollie5    People add rugs to rooms because they add warmth, define seating areas and help with acoustics.  The Yorkie is your problem, not so easily solved.  Be careful, dog pee can ruin hardwoods. Better review housebreaking 101.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Not me. DH asked if I was going to buy a rug to put on the wood floor in the living room. I told him No way I'm covering it up. Besides that's just more work for me rolling up to move so I can vacuum???

Super Contributor

@ollie5 

Say no more. Smiley LOL I have 2 chihuahua's. My new home had hard wood floors. I added a beautiful rug. My two critters thought "Wow, look at that pee pee pad!" No more pretty rug.

Respected Contributor

There are some really beautiful rugs but do not have any in my home. Rugs increase fall risk and do not need that.

Honored Contributor

I understand why people do, but I don't use a rug on mine. It's a dog and cat hair trap and on occasion a "dumping pad". Plus the shedding it goes through if it's wool is a pain. I love the looked of polished hardwood. 

Honored Contributor

My two story home has 100% hardwoods on the first level...kitchen and bathrooms included. 

I have a rug inside of the exit doors...they keep the floors clean and dry.  I have one in front of the kitchen sink.

Hardwood floors can be slippery especially in stocking feet.  If you have pets, their nails can scratch the floors.  I have an area rug in my dining room and it adds warmth and color and keeps my floor from getting scratched by sliding chairs.

Right now my living room and family room floors are bare, but in the winter, I sometimes have an area rug in there.  Wood floors can be cold.

Most people want a rug to stand on when they get out of bed.  Me included. Rugs also keep the dust down.

I have two dogs...both are 100% house trained to go outside.  They have never used a pee pad or my carpet to urinate on.  They both shed a lot, so I have to clean up the tumbleweeds  (fur) everyday and I have air purifiers that collect dog hair and dander too.  

Then again, some people have hardwood floors, but prefer carpet, so they use large area rugs.

Honored Contributor

@ollie5 wrote:

People love wood floors but plop a big area rug on them. Just moved into a new home with wood floors and really don t want to put a big rug down.

But then again I have a York's that thinks that a rug is a pee pee pad, lol!

We have kicked around the idea of getting hardwood flooring. But I wonder about how well it will hold up.

We currently have stone looking vinyl tile. It has held up well with the dog going in and outside. And furniture being moved.

But not sure that hardwood floors would be able to handle it. My brother comes regularly to visit. And never fails somehow he slams the one easy chair into the wall every time he sits in it. It has damaged the wall. I can't help but think that the base of the chair must move when he sits. It will end up scratching the floor.

I will need a rug to keep the hardwood floors looking reasonable. So I am back where I started. I will keep the vinyl tile. It still looks good.

Honored Contributor

I love hardwood floors and I adore antique oriental rugs....they complement each other.

Honored Contributor

Re: Don t understand why

[ Edited ]

I have mats at entry doors, and a bath mat, but NO rugs in the living areas of my house.  Too much of a fall risk for my husband.