Super Contributor

Re: Don't know where to post this --- snow blower topic

@AngelPuppy1, that used to be us. The ex still shovels, but I have some bulging discs, and once the spasms start, I'm outta here. I do enjoy it while it lasts. When he was away, at the house we shared, the nice lady across the street would help. I moved into a house with new carpet that I don't want, so as my son removes it, she gets it. She can't afford new. 

She put the garbage out for me at times, too. The city switched to those big wheeled auto-loader bins, and I just can't move them. They weren't thinking of older, short, etc., people. I can get them down the pavement, but not the grass. And since we're supposed to keep them out of sight..................

Honored Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

I have been thinking, and searching and reading reviews as well.  As we are getting older I want something that I will be able to handle myself should something happen.  I've read some good reviews on the SnowJoe battery snowblowers.  Not meant for uneven surfaces or deep heavy snow but easy to use.  An electric wouldn't be ideal for me fighting with an ext. cord nor do I want to mess with gas.  End of the season seems to be a good time to buy for next year.

@In-x-s

Our driveway is kind of long and my husband doesn't feel an electric one would be a good choice for us.  I don't know what we will do.  If it were up to him, we'd have one --- like today! 

If the driveway is long and you get any decent snowfalls, you may need to get one of the more expensive gas blowers.  Not that I know much about them but a single stage (cheaper) blower you have to use your muscle to push it through the snow.  The two stage is more self-propelled. 

I found this out when I thought I'd dang near killed DH with him  trying to blow snow on a driveway we had that was sloped.

@In-x-s

Sounds like our driveway --- it is sloped, too!  He is not in good health, nor I!  That is why we were looking at them.  And whichever one we get, I need to be able to handle it also.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

@jackthebearwrote:

we have a big heavy gas powered one that is just too big for me to operate (as it probably weighs as much as I do) 

but if there were a big storm I am not sure how an electric one would be enough to clear our driveway.

so it depends on a) how much snow you get b) size of your drive and walkways

@jackthebear

I'd like to try a smaller one but I feel that DH is gunning for a larger one.  Might be o.k. for him but not for me. 

Hi @AngelPuppy1 .. our neighbors across the street have an electric snow blower.   And frankly,  when we have a lot of snow it is pretty useless.  

@Boehm Collector

That's what I'm afraid of!  The smaller, lighter ones would be better for me to handle.  But I think its going to come down to getting a gas one, a larger one.  I am going to have to find out what the store's return policy is in case when we do get one, it isn't the right one! 

Honored Contributor

wrote:

@AngelPuppy1: as long as the snow blower is going to be DH;'s "toy" and he will be the one using it while you are warm and dry indoors, let him choose whatever he wants!

When I bought my Snow Joe it was for me to use, but DS was living at home at that time.

I did not have to lift a finger that winter, as I suspected. DS gladly used the Snow Joe to clear the snow every time!

Forgot to add: the battery powered Snow Joe is very capable and very quiet. It is light in weight, but not light duty.

@queendiva

I wish!  We are looking because we are both in not great health.  It needs to be one I can handle, too.  If something were to happen to him, then I need to be able to take over!!  

Honored Contributor

wrote:

@AngelPuppy1, that used to be us. The ex still shovels, but I have some bulging discs, and once the spasms start, I'm outta here. I do enjoy it while it lasts. When he was away, at the house we shared, the nice lady across the street would help. I moved into a house with new carpet that I don't want, so as my son removes it, she gets it. She can't afford new. 

She put the garbage out for me at times, too. The city switched to those big wheeled auto-loader bins, and I just can't move them. They weren't thinking of older, short, etc., people. I can get them down the pavement, but not the grass. And since we're supposed to keep them out of sight..................

@summerwind

I hear ya!  Nothing is geared toward us older folks.  We have no one around to help us -- sadly.  So, it's just he and I and as I mentioned, neither of us is in very good health. It's really hard trying to keep these things done.  

Honored Contributor

I thank you all for your very kind and informative posts!

If we were still both young and healthty, there would be no problem.  I, and he as well, have shoveled snow all of our lives and always helped others, too.  Now, we are in the position we are in and it's getting harder and harder.  We are muddling along, but I don't want to wait until something drastic happens and then try to tackle it.  

Esteemed Contributor

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

@jackthebearwrote:

we have a big heavy gas powered one that is just too big for me to operate (as it probably weighs as much as I do) 

but if there were a big storm I am not sure how an electric one would be enough to clear our driveway.

so it depends on a) how much snow you get b) size of your drive and walkways

@jackthebear

I'd like to try a smaller one but I feel that DH is gunning for a larger one.  Might be o.k. for him but not for me. 

Hi @AngelPuppy1 .. our neighbors across the street have an electric snow blower.   And frankly,  when we have a lot of snow it is pretty useless.  

@Boehm Collector

That's what I'm afraid of!  The smaller, lighter ones would be better for me to handle.  But I think its going to come down to getting a gas one, a larger one.  I am going to have to find out what the store's return policy is in case when we do get one, it isn't the right one! 

Another thing @AngelPuppy1 ... we have a REALLY, REALLY long driveway.  It goes all the way to almost the end of our property (up to the garage in the back)  and then curves around behind the house..... like an upside down "L" shape.  So the snow blowers have been a godsend

Esteemed Contributor

@AngelPuppy1   our gas powered snow blowers are self propelled.   So in spite of my size and strength I was able to use it with no problem.  Haven't used it in years since DH is now dealing with the snow removal.  But if need be I don't think I would have a problem handling it.