Honored Contributor

Re: Don't Shoot! I'm just the messenger, lol.

@traveler wrote:

Who writes these list? Some 27yo "stylist"?

@traveler Yes.  One who probably lives at home.  LOL!!

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@traveler wrote:

Who writes these list? Some 27yo "stylist"?

@traveler Yes.  One who probably lives at home.  LOL!!

@Sooner  In the converted basement apartment...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Trusted Contributor

None of those examples in OPs post is my taste at all, but, I don't think of homes as outdated or not. I think of many other things that way -- clothes, ways of communicating, ways of thinking, appliances (regarding function only), etc.

The last thing I would be concerned about is whether or not my furnishings and surroundings are current (except for the mechanical, plumbing, electrical, etc. aspects).  All I care about is how I feel about my home. If it makes me happy and feels like home. 

Respected Contributor

@Catiele   I've been a realtor for the past several years.   Can I offer a little advice?  If you do a few things, you'll most likely improve your resale value and the speed of sale.  Since I haven't seen your home, I'll recommend two.....  First, remove any and all wallpaper, and paint in a light, neutral color.  Next, de-clutter the house.  Don't get rid of things you love, but do move them into storage for your new home.  It's your home, and you have to love it, but if you do some easy things ahead of time, it should pay off.  Good luck!

Honored Contributor

@ItsME wrote:

I DO have vertical blinds.  LOVE them!  They are clean, neat, and versatile.... I can let in as much or as little light as I want.  

@ItsME 

We also have vertical blinds in our sunroom. Work perfectly. There were horizontal mini blinds in there when we purchased the house, but that was the first thing I changed. Verticals are much easier to keep clean! 

Respected Contributor

ItsME.  Thanks for the info. Our house is mostly wallpaper. We aren't changing anything. We are removing clutter. Much must go. My husband's sister is a realtor. I am sure she will say just what you said. We are hoping that the land and the location will help sell  it. We shall see. Oh we are willing to come down on the price. 

Respected Contributor

I agree with@mspat.

Regular Contributor

My house has a lively Caribbean vibe that is loved by few, except us LOL.  I know when we decide to sell it will need to be neutralized, but, since we kept the floors, cabinets, counters, etc. neutral it should be easy to do.  

Living in FL we have vertical blinds.  The house is small so furniture is up against the walls.  

I find it funny that people refer to the younger generation as SPOILED BRATS because they have their own style (as every generation does) and aren't interested in "things".  My daughters age 28 and 32 have no interest at all in china, furniture, and othe "keepsakes" that have been passed down.  They live with less clutter and spend their money on experiences and travel.  I've been told to sell anything of value and enjoy the money and anything else can be donated to charity when I no longer want it.  I appreciate their honesty.  

Respected Contributor

We will be selling an old fashioned house and moving to a smaller old fashioned house. We are both looking forward to this move. We will be living near our son and his family close to the ocean. Many memories in this house.

Honored Contributor

Some of these, well, OK, but others come in a range of quality.

Fake plants can be plastic and not-so-pretty and clearly fake, while fabric fake flowers or foliage can be very nice.

Case in point:

bouquet 1.jpg

As to wall paneling, some is good-looking and others have had their day.  Shiplap is gorgeous and popular, at least it has been fairly recently.  

I think hanging pictures too high is a bigger fault.  It seems to go along with hanging signs as high as someone's arm can reach, since whoever is hanging them doesn't seem to get that our eyes are a whole lot lower!  

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.