Honored Contributor

Re: Don't Shoot! I'm just the messenger, lol.

I have always wanted one of those Felix the Cat clocks since I was a little kid.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

Who writes these list? Some 27yo "stylist"?

Esteemed Contributor

Nope, not going to follow trends or be dictated to on what I have in my home. Most of the items that are listed in the original post I don't have, mainly because I don't like that particular style, clutter. It's a personal thing.

I do have:

sofa against wall - because there is no other place to put it

a recliner - helps hubby when his back is really bad

antique secretary

Respected Contributor

I'm guilty of several of them.  China hutch that my mother paid for just before she passed, a sleigh bed, wall to wall carpeting, furniture against the wall because that's the only way it fits, a recliner that they will have to pry from under my cold dead body, very expensive custom oak cabinets that I can't do anything about, and an expensive heavy oak table that my DD says will be expensive firewood.  It makes me shiver to think some youngun would buy my expensive furniture and paint it whiteish.

Honored Contributor

I don't usually agree with these articles but I can't argue with the datedness of the examples. Of course, there is anything inherently wrong with that look if you like it or can't change it at the moment. It's your home and not a magazine spread. 

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter wrote:

So what are people supposed to do, burn the house down and start over with whatever is on trend at that moment?!

------

Exactly @CelticCrafter . My house was built in 2000 when brass hardware and oak cabinets were common. Trends come and go, but as long as everything works and is kept clean, I'm not replacing them.

Esteemed Contributor

Ok I have a sleigh bed, popcorn ceiling and oak cabinets. I like them. Maybe not the popcorn ceiling so much but to expensive to replace. I'm the one living there and if I like it that's all that's important.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@house_cat -

I was smiling at most of these.

I don't like most of them and never have but I can appreciate them.

I had many people on my Avon journeys years ago with so much of these in their houses. They were their treasures.

I do have carpeting everywhere I could put it and its pretty. But more important, I hate walking on hard floors-that can hurt anyone's feet and back over time.

And I think my place has turned into a photo gallery, but I can't help it. It does look cluttered 

but I have a lot of new little ones and I want to celebrate and look at their sweet faces every day.

My daughter has the most comfortable recliner ever and I appreciate it so much when I am rocking my newest little one. It isn't attractive but no one cares.

I agree with @Witchy Woman , that I hardly ever like the designers I see in magazines-cold sterile all look the same or just too ridiculous with odd things and colors or bland everywhere.

The only designer I like on HGTV is Hilary on Love it or List it (she's the original, older, though not really old one.

I got rid of so many things I loved when we moved, including my mil's china cabinet that I put all my sparkly, fairy, lights in.We had an entertainment center we called The Gorilla because it covered the entire downstairs hang out. We loved it. It took 3 men to dismantle and move it on out.

I have surrounded myself with things I love to feel and look at.

My nephew once said he imagines I have soft seats, candles, and comfortable throws everywhere so conducive to taking naps at any timeSmiley Happy

That was a lovely compliment I always thought.

Oh and one more thing lol!

At one time I looked for those beautiful Irish linen cutout lace things, not necessarily doilies just beautiful art.

I still have a fewSmiley Happy

So much fun to read about others treasures and things they love.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Honored Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

Interesting.  I have to admit that I'm guilty of quite a few.  However it's my home and as long as it pleases me, is clean & comfortable who cares?! 

I have an oak dining room set (Thomasville that we purchased in 1984) and light oak wood floors throughout the downstairs.  (It's either the dark or gray stained wood that's in right now). I've tried to give both the dining & living rooms and updated look with the accessories....I got rid of the heavy drapery (was guilty of that!) two years ago and lightened it up with cream colored panels from Pier one.

I also have some brass hardware though I did get rid of the chandeliers and brass light fixtures that I replaced with bronze.  I have a collection of family photos on the piano and a floral sofa that's like new from Ethan Allen in the formal living room. I would never buy it today but I can't bring myself to replace it.

I can only imagine that once we try to sell it young potential buyers coming through like those you see on HGTV complain about all of the dated looks going on...we may need to do some work before then.

@haddon9 

Just so everyone remembers where they put all that chrome and all that brass of their chandliers, drawer pulls and bath/kitchen fixtures because they will be in big demand in a few years and you might want them back.  The same decorators that told you years ago you needed brass, told you recently you don't need brass and those same decorators or their successions will tell you in a few more years that you have to have brass.  What comes around goes and and what goes around comes around.

Esteemed Contributor

@house_cat , it was fun to go through the list.  I built my retirement home 15 years ago.  It took me awhile get the furniture the way I wanted it.  Finally, I am there.

I don’t have many of the issues on the list but I do have a beautiful recliner that is going to the grave with me.  It is in our family room and it is MY chair.  It was my gift to myself when I finished my Master’s degree.  I have updated other recliners to the new leather sleek design.  Despite the fact that I paid a small fortune for them, I like my old one better.

Like many of the ladies here, I have surrounded myself with what I love.  That is the most important thing.  LM