Honored Contributor

All I can think of when I see this kitchen....Be careful. Don’t hit your head. 

This space just doesn’t seem practical for a kitchen. Perhaps this is part of a top floor apartment? I don’t think I could live with this. I’m not loving the design elements either. 

My childhood bedroom was on the top floor of a story and a half house so I am very familiar with these slanted walls. I still had more vertical space than this room though.

6BE6540D-5FD8-4CBF-807F-170A29CCBA46.jpeg

Respected Contributor

Re: Don’t Hit Your Head 😱

I agree. I would bang my head there constantly. I'm a clutz. I've been known to hit my head on cabinets I just opened. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am thinking the angle that the picture was taken makes the ceiling look much lower than it is.

If the ceiling is higher..I think it is kind of cute for a first apartment or studio apartment in a big city.

Trusted Contributor

My (finished) attic has a ceiling like that - I never go up there that I don't check to see if the ice pak is nearby....a real pain in the '''head'' !!

Esteemed Contributor

It is kind of cool, too bad it makes the counter space somewhat limited.

I am loving the skylights though !

Honored Contributor

It looks to me that there is enough room for anyone to stand comfortably under the angled ceiling/walls.  But there's that sink in the island again which to me is a complete turn off.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't see anything I like there...

Trusted Contributor

Very peculiar. Symmetry is often soothing, but this seems jarring. I want to stick to the center of the room, but I can't because of the island. 

I wonder if you could actually work on those side countertops safely? The big island would probably give you plenty of room to work. 

But I also think more could have been done to emphasize the horizontal lines over the vertical. Maybe a darker floor to ground it, and lighter cabinets? A different countertop material? Different lighting? Horizontal boards on the end of the island? No island and moving the inside wall cabinets in farther so they aren't sitting under the lowest point on the ceiling? You'd lose square footage but it might work better anyway--you could fudge some upper cabinets on that side, and set them into the slope at the top, so they would look sort of normal. I think the room with one sloping ceiling side would be interesting instead of a bit claustrophobic.

I do think the huge skylight would be wonderful

Respected Contributor

They have a home bar to make the ouches feel better. Woman LOL

Trusted Contributor

WOW!  That makes the room so much smaller.  Definitely not for the claustrophic person!