Respected Contributor

Does your Duvet completely cover your mattress?

I have a 12" pillow top king mattress.

The standard duvet and comforterers seem to be 92"x 108"

So the 92"duvet length must fit the 80" long mattress plus the 12"= 92". I still have 2-3 inches at the head of the bed that I have to cover with pillows.

A 76' wide king mattress plus 12 inches on each side for the drop=100" So there should be 4" on each side that would extend over the mattress.

But when you fill a duvet with a puffy insert it seems to just barely cover the mattress to the point of the bed skirt.

My new mattress will be 14"  Means I will definitely have a coverage problem.So I have ordered a coverlet that measures a few inches greater in width and length. Hoping this covers the new mattress.

I had this problem with a beautiful Ralph Lauren comforter. Fortunately there were matching sheets. So I put extra fabric on three sides of the comforter. Did the trick.

Anyone else have a solution for complete covering of the bed?

Respected Contributor

Re: Does your Duvet completely cover your mattress?

I don't have a solution for your problem but I have a queen mattress and have learned to order a king size quilt in most cases. With the different depth of mattresses today you would think that some companies would make larger king size duvets.

Valued Contributor

I also have a queen and always use kings.  Don't know what I would do if I had a king.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@kitty60 wrote:

I also have a queen and always use kings.  Don't know what I would do if I had a king.

I do the same and it makes a big difference. I don't know the dimensions of a California King, but I guess someone with a King mattress could look for a Cl King duvet. Choices for Cal King are more limited though. 

Valued Contributor

@kitty60 wrote:

Same for me here. I always purchase King size in my comforter and blankets. 

One thing to note is that some brand have over-sized lenght/width. In particular, I purchased a king sized blanket from the company store recently, and only after it was delivered I realized that the queen sized would have fit perfectly because it was oversized. I didn't return the item because the king size still worked for me. I would recommend looking at the detailed measurements of the items when shopping.

Honored Contributor

I switched to bedspreads instead of comforters.  The king fits the queen well, but the last one I bought the measurements were off.  I didn't check the measurements and just assumed it would fit.  It's possible it was marked King and is a Queen.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

I have a full bed and I buy queen, not full/ queen, sized blankets, comforters bedspreads---I like to have alot hanging over my bed as it is so high off the ground. 

Respected Contributor

I don't use a duvet - always buy comforter sets, but I have learned that I must buy sets that are described as "oversized". Also if you use a dust ruffle pay attention to the drop length. There are some brands that are always oversized, like Rose Tree or Thomasville. "Bargain" brands are always too small.

Honored Contributor

I have the opposite problem.  I own a double bed and I can only buy the double/queen size because they don't offer just a double.  I am sure the Queen size works perfectly for a Queen bed.  I don't like a duvet or blanket in the double/queen size because there is so much overlap.

kindness is strength