Regular Contributor

Does using the Luminara remote drain the candle batteries?

[ Edited ]

I have a few Luminaras and had put new batteries in them maybe 2 months ago. I also bought a remote. I set the candles in the on position and then turned them off with the remote. I hadn't used them since. Today every candle I tried (either manually or with the remote) had dead batteries. I'm wondering if leaving the candle switches in the "on" position drains them even if you used the remote to turn them off? Has this happened to anyone else? Is it a known issue? If so, that's disappointing since I don't turn them on often. It pretty much renders the remote control absolutely useless for me if the batteries will drain!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Does using the Luminara remote drain the candle batteries?

Hmmm    You have me thinking............I wouldn't think so.  If candle has no light - it's not using juice from the batteries.  I have these candles and use the Timer so rarely use the remote.  You might try a test and put new batteries in and leave the switch to OFF.  (I worked for an electroics company - capacitors, relays, transformers, etc., - but not an expert for sure)

Respected Contributor

@J9 wrote:

I have a few Luminaras and had put new batteries in them maybe 2 months ago. I also bought a remote. I set the candles in the on position and then turned them off with the remote. I hadn't used them since. Today every candle I tried (either manually or with the remote) had dead batteries. I'm wondering if leaving the candle switches in the "on" position drains them even if you used the remote to turn them off? Has this happened to anyone else? Is it a known issue? If so, that's disappointing since I don't turn them on often. It pretty much renders the remote control absolutely useless for me if the batteries will drain!

@J9 Yes the batteries will drain if the candles are set to the ON position with using the remote. The rep on air mentioned this a few times in the presentations last year. So I either keep using my candles with the remote daily or I put them on the OFF position until I want to use them again. The timer function you can use as well. My batteries last me 3 months for all my Luminara candles.

Respected Contributor

@BabyYoda
Yes the batteries will drain if the candles are set to the ON position with using the remote. The rep on air mentioned this a few times in the presentations last year. So I either keep using my candles with the remote daily or I put them on the OFF position until I want to use them again. The timer function you can use as well. My batteries last me 3 months for all my Luminara candles.

What brand of batteries do you use? I use Duracell, but have tried other brands. I leave my candles on the timer & I get a little over 1 month on any brand that I have tried. Except Kirkland from Costco. I don't think they lasted as long.

Honored Contributor

I use rayovac or Duracell batteries and they last a good three months or more on the timer.  That's interesting about the remote.  I don't know that I've actually tried it.  I put the remotes in the drawer.

Regular Contributor

Boo. I was afraid of that! Whelp, live and learn. And there's goes a whole pack of D size Duracell batteries from Costco. On and Off it is. No more remote for me. #themoreyouknow

Valued Contributor

The exact thing happened to me  I am so thankful you wrote this  I couldnt believe my eyes  I thought they would stay ready to light forever  NONE of them worked  THANK YOU SO MUCH  IM on my way to relace and never do that again  I am usually happy with Luminara  battery life   BEWARE LUMINARA LOVERS  THANKS TO THIS LADY WE WILL NOT GET CAUGHT AGAIN

Esteemed Contributor

I returned mine

Trusted Contributor

This is such good information. I've never used the remote, because I'm happy with the 5 hour timer.  It seems to defeat the purpose of the remote itself. Thank you for the info.

Respected Contributor

Glad I can help you all out with the info I provided. I bought a lot of luminara candles the past few years as I think they look so realistic and I love the look of them. I use them year round but use more of them around the holidays. I love the remote feature and I don't know why they don't mention on air anymore that the batteries will run out in the ON function with the remote about the same time as using the timer.