Respected Contributor

Re: Does using the Luminara remote drain the candle batteries?

@Dusty1 wrote:

@BabyYoda
Yes the batteries will drain if the candles are set to the ON position with using the remote. The rep on air mentioned this a few times in the presentations last year. So I either keep using my candles with the remote daily or I put them on the OFF position until I want to use them again. The timer function you can use as well. My batteries last me 3 months for all my Luminara candles.

What brand of batteries do you use? I use Duracell, but have tried other brands. I leave my candles on the timer & I get a little over 1 month on any brand that I have tried. Except Kirkland from Costco. I don't think they lasted as long.

@Dusty1 I use Duracell batteries (C and D) for my Luminara candles from BJs wholesale club and Energizer batteries (when on sale at my local store) and I stopped using the no name batteries and even BJs brand as they don't even last a month! I get a good 3 months on the timer function and some I use on the remote. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@BabyYoda wrote:

Glad I can help you all out with the info I provided. I bought a lot of luminara candles the past few years as I think they look so realistic and I love the look of them. I use them year round but use more of them around the holidays. I love the remote feature and I don't know why they don't mention on air anymore that the batteries will run out in the ON function with the remote about the same time as using the timer. 

@BabyYoda,

@J9,

This is very good information.  Like others said, this issue would not have crossed my mind.

If using the remote doesn't provide battery savings, I will definitely be sticking with the timers.  Thanks for this thread.  I don't know how I missed it.  

Trusted Contributor

I stumbled on this thread and read the posts and thought gee, all of mine are fine here at home (use duracell they are best and last longest IMO). I use the remote as well.

BUT read the last post I think it is by @BabyYoda and BINGO!!! lightbulb moment lol just now.

We have a seashore condo in NJ [but we live in PA], we only visit our condo a few times in the winter [just too cold] and I've set my Luminara's to the "on" postion using the remote always since I have some candles on higher levels and noted ALL batteries were dead on every single one [have a several in there] when we came back this Spring! They were new baterries and ON so this is so very true! at home I do both remote and timer mode and don't use mine a lot anyway so my duracells last really long. 

Thank you SOOO much I was going nuts thinking my hubby's son is coming in with his friends and turning them to on postion and wearing the out LOL! It would be okay but ALL even ones hiding in colored hurricanes were dead. I will now not keep these "on" and just use the doggone timer. I had no idea they never even mentioned it on air and I watch Q all the time?! TY again!!!! 

My son went to Heaven 4/15/2018
I love and miss him so very much. God Bless you my dear Nicky
Respected Contributor

Glad you read my post @mimi5775 and figured out the ON switch will drain the batteries even when the remote turns them off. I think you get longer use out of the batteries on the timer function rather than using the remote. I need to keep track of ones on the timer and ones on the remote. 

Honored Contributor

I have had my Luminara on the on position for a year and all of them are still working.  I use Duracell or Everready.

Trusted Contributor

@BabyYoda wrote:

Glad you read my post @mimi5775 and figured out the ON switch will drain the batteries even when the remote turns them off. I think you get longer use out of the batteries on the timer function rather than using the remote. I need to keep track of ones on the timer and ones on the remote. 

@BabyYoda sorry late in replying, I'm just not on here much...but ty!

I put most all of my candles on timer now but a few (I'm just too short lol) But now know WHY this was happening! Did the same to our shore condo candles all are on timers too. I'm so glad you posted this...what a help you were! THANK YOU Smiley Happy!!!!!

Honored Contributor

I put Duracell in the Luminara lanterns I bought in January and have only used the remote, and hardly at all, and I just tested them and they are still lighting. 

Respected Contributor

@mimi5775 wrote:

@BabyYoda wrote:

@BabyYoda sorry late in replying, I'm just not on here much...but ty!

I put most all of my candles on timer now but a few (I'm just too short lol) But now know WHY this was happening! Did the same to our shore condo candles all are on timers too. I'm so glad you posted this...what a help you were! THANK YOU Smiley Happy!!!!!

You're welcome @mimi5775. Glad I could help. I have been keeping track of my Luminara candles with remote and ones I use on timers and so far the timers are still going strong every night while I just replaced 4 candles on remote. 

Trusted Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

I put Duracell in the Luminara lanterns I bought in January and have only used the remote, and hardly at all, and I just tested them and they are still lighting. 

@mousiegirl oh yes! agree that the BEST and most lasting are Duracell..no comparison imho. Also not putting them on every night lol. I don't... just maybe 2. So they do last for me.

But thanks to @BabyYoda, they won't not die out when away in Winter and come Spring go back to our shore condo to find them all dead b/c they were set for "on" using the remote! So now a select few are like that...when cold arrives all will be OFF and bet they will work when we go back.