Respected Contributor

Re: Does anyone use window shades anymore?

I have window shades and wooden shutters (not the big Plantation type.). I only have to vacuum them and every 5 yrs or so wash. I have had them for 25 years -imagine what curtains would have looked like for that long in strong southern sun. 

My shades are made by Graber and are still made. 

Respected Contributor

Here I have Venetian blinds on some windows, vertical blinds on the larger sliders. No old fashioned roller shades.

Esteemed Contributor

Have roller shades on every window in my house--would never be without them......guess I'm old school.....and that's fine with me......

Valued Contributor

We have slat blinds on most of our windows, but neighbors have blinding carriage lights on their 3 car garage across the street.  Sleeping was an issue for my kids and us.

We put vinyl pull-down black-out roller shades on top of the blinds for the kids, but I wanted something better in the master bedroom.  We have what are called bottom- up -shades.  They pull up from the sill at night and are black-out.  In the morning they drop down from the top to reveal a lace shade that provides privacy but lets lots of sun in.  I really like them, but when we downsize I want plantation shutters all through the house.

Esteemed Contributor

I live in an apartment complex....I have blinds but there is a mix of blinds and window shades all around here...

Blinds are a pain to keep up ....but i feel i have more privacy with them during the day when my drapes are open...then I would with shades....

Esteemed Contributor

I have roller shdes on my bedrooms window that are room darkening. I got them at Penney's last year.....

Honored Contributor

I totally forgot, there were no window coverings when we bought the apt, the week we moved in Con Ed was doing night time work right under our window, you guessed bright lights shinning in our windows, it was awful.

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I still use roll-up shades - one on my front door and one in master bedroom.  I want to say I ordered them from JCPenney - took measurements, emailed them online, picked out color & style I wanted.  Got them back, fit perfectly.

I've have shades from Lowe's and they never seem to cut them to the right size, not sure how this happens.  Stopped doing that.

@house_cat  Yes, I just checked - I did get mine at JCPenney and you can send them your measurements so they cut to size for you.

Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

The last time I bought shades, I got them  at JCPenneys. I don't know if they still sell them, but they are good room darkening  shades.

I have shades from JCP (22 years ago!!) still on all bedroom windows and on the windows in our family room (which is half underground and it is easy to see into those windows from the street level).

I won't have anything but darkening shades in the bedrooms because I have guys who often work night shift and have to sleep in the daytime. My shades are a very pretty scalloped with trim, shade of off white, and covered with lace curtains the same shade. Makes for plenty of privacy, but lets in lots of light and doesn't close the room in.

Honored Contributor

I use shades in the bedrooms since the curtains I have do not cover the windows.